opinions on dana 60 vs. ttb50

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
My truck has the typical annoying slopped out 24 year old bushings in the front end. This has to end! I'm currently on the fence about simply (Ha!) replacing all those rubber parts with new parts (Poly?), or swapping in a Dana 60 from a f350.

The question I have is there any drawback to the dana 60 other than having to find one and pay for it? I'm specifically concerned about ride quality as I am probably going to drive this truck from Seattle to Miami in December.

I realize the dana 60 is stronger, but since I haven't managed to break anything so far in ten years of less than careful driving, I'm less motivated by that than by the improved tire wear etc.

Looking forward to hearing from those who have already made the switch. If any of you did it to a truck that didn't have a completely worn out front end I'd really like the report on that difference...rather than "my new axle is way better than the worn out crap it replaced".

tractorman86

Reaction score
i've never done the swap myself but i dont think you will loose any ride quality going to a strait axle especially if it is lifted already.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall some people saying that the -60 actually rides better!

I can't contribute anything else, except to say that I'd love to do a Dana 60 swap someday in the distant future, just to get my truck steering better...

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have the TTB in mine and it has worn down to only around a half inch or so above the bump stops BUT everything has worn so perfectly on this thing that it does not chew tires up or wander down the road, in fact I have never rotated the tires in the 3 1/2 years I have had it due to the wheels being rusted/stuck on till I did my brake job (20lbs sledge to the inside of the rim or the tire took it off after a bit), but I also don't put alot of miles on it either, I bought it with 200,000 on it and it is around whatever my sig says. But I also know that the PO and I have as well greased every bushing, fitting and anything that squeaked on this thing (the driver-side spring, well everything on the driver-side, is well lubed by the slobber tube and slight valve cover leak) so that may have helped some. I'd just stay with the TTB myself, mainly if it has worked so far why change it, plus bushings are cheaper than a whole D60.

1989f2507.3idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a little trick at the tire shop was to put 2 or as many as u feel comfortable and slow drive off a curb worked perfectly

Stefan

Reaction score
I owned a 87 F 250 4x4 for 15 plus years and I now own a 1993 F350 4x4, both trucks were standard cabs, manual trannies. The F 250 rode much nicer that the F350 with the Dana 60. If you do the swap I would also look into doind a reverse shakle set up

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I made the swap and would never go back. My truck rides better, even with the add-a-leaf that it did with the IFS axle, no tire lean out when cornering, etc. My truck handles like a Corvette compared to that IFS axle and the ride quality is much better, not to mention, it a well build axle. I'd make the change in a heart-beat. Steering/driving wise, my truck does EVERYTHING better than it did with the IFS.

If you do it, just get everything you need. There is a bracket that bolts to the crossmember under the engine for the trac bar. Get the bracket, bar and all if you buy one. The track bar bracket bolts on, as does everything else. I'd get the steering components, front drive shaft and yoke off the transfer case as well. Some say they have been able to use their "other" drive shaft, but there was no way it was going to work in mine, so I used the shaft from the F350, I had the whole truck, so it wasn't a problem.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I went from 2wd IFS to 4wd with a D60 and leaf springs - the tire wear is awesome - they don't wear un-even anymore. It's also nice to reach for the 4wd stick and know your not going to break ****...LOL....Kingpin D60 all the way for me. I'm trying to find another 10 bolt version for my 97 F450 Super-duty.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a kingpin dana 60 in my truck this summer and love it. I do not do any offroading at all but just for the way it handles and the life of the tires will be enough of a payback for me. My ride is a little bit more rough but it handles like a sports car compared to the ifs. I bought the trac bar drop bracket off off ebay and made my own trac bar since mine was cut when the axle was shipped to me. If you have the dana 50 in your truck now see if you can buy a dually dana 60 front end. They are usually cheaper and you can sell the bud adapters for about $100 bucks or so. I got $140 for mine on e-bay. Then you can put your spindles on the axle and be good to go and get some off your money back. I even sold my IFS on ebay. I maybe had 400-500 in my axle swap total after everyting.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
Well the consensus is a little mixed huh?:dunno

I climbed under there today and wiggled everything I could with the giant pry bar and it seems like the only problem is the pivot bushings. My supplier dropped off two new ones, and I had to check the invoice because I could not believe they were really that puny:***:
Everything else on this truck seems to be bigger than is really necessary then you find these bushing which look like they are part of a VW van? Mysteries will never cease...They are really inexpensive if that's any consolation...I'd recommend the rest of you IFS owners to check the little darlings out since I can't imagine them lasting all that long. I'll try to replace them this weekend and report back. Wish me luck!

tractorman86

Reaction score
you are in for a fight, getting the new ones in is very easy but getting the old ones out is the hard part. you will probably need an air hammer, chiesel, BFH, and a med sized prybar. good luck!!!!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Good luck with them center pivot bushings! Seriously, they are a TON of fun!

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i rebuilt the whole chassis on my trk and i went with poly bushings everywhere, even body mount bushings, and threw in a set of add-a-leafs, and with the d50 ifs it rides better then my lowered 93 f150 lightning(it has poly bushings as well), and it handles very well. i also replaced the bushings for the frt and rear sway bars and it handles like a dream. i would never go with a solid frt axle in my trk, even though my trk rides on 37's.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i better not say never, if i air bag the frt and rear and 4-link it (so i can raise and lower ride height) i would go solid in the frt, but just cause i would be able to drive it around at different heights due to the air bags.

tractorman86

Reaction score
dont wanna steal the thread but it is on the topic. i am getting a 76 f250 that(suposedly) has a D44 w/60 hubs, according to my brother. is this right or is an 8-lug D44, or a D60? i am thinking about putting it in my 91 depending on what it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online