Ongoing Headgasket saga, more questions no answers...

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you interested, I'm still working on the weird leaking headgaskets on my new 6.9 engine...Click here to read old thread(long)...

I finally gave up on all the testing, and pulled the heads. What I found has many baffled. More questions, no answers.

There has obviously been coolant sitting on the deck of the block, and above the gasket against the head. There are rust stains on both surfaces all along the exhaust side, front to back, and up between the cylinders, but not all the way to the intake side, It looks like the gasket made a good seal all along the intake side front to back. The gaskets look like they were never really crushed at all. At the outer edge, where the gasket isn't crushed at all, you'd think you'd be able to feel a difference between the crushed area, but there's no discernible lip at all. There's the odd spot at the cylinder edge, where it looks like not much contact at all with the fire ring, and soot has leaked out.

I had the Drivers' head into a shop, and they pressure tested it to 40 psi, and checked it out for flatness and warpage, and said it passed on all accounts.

Since it is the same on both sides, and since it affected each cylinder more or less the same, I think it rules out a cracked block or head anyway, 'cause that would have to mean there's a crack in each cylinder. That leaves only 2 things that would be the common denominator.

The head gaskets, and the studs. I've had my torque wrench tested, and it's accurate, so I doubt the studs could be a problem, since they should clamp better than the bolts, and I checked the torque on the heads before I removed them, and it was still at 85 ft. lbs, so it's looking like somehow I musta got a bad set of head gaskets.

The gaskets are not felpro, or IH, but a company called Victor Reinz.

Anyone heard anything about these gaskets good or bad?

So, this weekend weather permitting, I'm going to do one final test. The local IH shop has lent me a set of hydro plates to bolt onto the block in place of the heads, to pressure test the block coolant passages. I'm gonna try that, then I'm going to lay the heads on the block without a gasket and slide feeler gauges under them and see if I can find any clearance at all, between the two.

Then if that doesn't show anything, I guess I can only try to button it all back up again with new gaskets from IH, and see how that works.

Another $300 down the drain....(sigh)-cuss

Any thoughts before I dive in....?

zigg :)

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CRAP! That's my thought. I used the Victor-Reinz gaskets from Napa on my truck...knock on wood, they have been holding water and compression since 1/5/2004. If it turns out to be the gaskets, I'd complain to them, and see if they will do anything for you for your trouble or just tell you you must have screwed up... but knowing how you go about things I strongly doubt you did no matter what they say. Good luck, don't give up!

Headerpower

Reaction score
The only point that comes to mind is to explicitly follow the head torque sequence pattern, do it gradually in 4 steps, as recommended. Haynes book for an IDI turbo tops out a 110 ft/lbs.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah but with his studs, its gonna be different. He needs to follow the ARP instructions. I believe the Warden did 85 ft-lbs in 8 steps then added +5 for teh turbo. It seems ATS wanted him to go to 95 ft-lbs since they recommend +10 for a turbo, but he was unwilling to gamble that all the hardware would survive to that level of torque. It was a compromise. Haynes recommends 80 ft-lbs for a 6.9 and that's what I went with. No turbo yet, but so far it has worked out ok.

rubberfish

Reaction score
I'm guessing it's the gaskets. That,
or you had a coolant line hooked up
to the intake some how, which I
don't think is even possible is it?
Supposed to be 20C on Friday. :)
Roll up those sleeves, twist one up,
and get on 'er. You'll win this time. :)

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haynes book for an IDI turbo tops out a 110 ft/lbs.

Kevin

You sure that's not for a 7.3? I thought the 6.9 is 80 ft. lbs.

I've transplanted a 6.9 into the '93, and I've got a factory turbo to put on it, I just need to get it running...

I followed the torque sequence to the letter, and I double checked it all with a second torque wrench!!

I got a complete IH head set today. Gaskets, and valley pan.

I'm hoping to work on it over the upcoming long weekend....

Oh, and nice to see another local member...

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roll up those sleeves, twist one up,
and get on 'er. You'll win this time. :)

:drunk: :smoke: :smash: :rock:After a hard day of rollin, twistin & rockin you might enjoy the soothing phychadelic green river;Sweet Damn I can't even spell that right now:rotflmao :rotflmao Better go find some more Doritos

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
problems

I doubt it is the gaskets, does the stud kit still use the dowel rings to locate. It sounds like the heads didnt suck down all the way. I have used lots of victor rienz gaskets and not had any problems, hot to say they arent the problem but??? I get some bad parts now and then especially starter solenoids lately, must be offshore crap:puke: Anyway let us know how it turns out and remember the fine threads pull harder on the block than course, follow arp specs to the letter.
My 2 c

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Zigg,

What are the only non-stock parts in the engine? The aftermarket head studs? When all else fails reassemble it with stock parts torqued to factory specs. I called the local IH repair shop and they told me the correct head bolt torque for a 6.9 is 85 pounds. That is the torque Hypermax told me to check my headbolts to be sure they were at that tension when I installed my turbo.

Jim - Your neighbor across the Straights

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I use the Victor Reinz gaskets all the time on european engines, lots of diesels ( that's my bread and butter ) and have never had a failure. You'll find that most VW, Volvo and Mercedes rebuilds are done with Reinz gaskets, and they last an insanely long time. If anything the quality is far above what you would find in a felpro product, The fit and quality control with the reinz gaskets is supurb, you can get spoiled real fast using those things all the time and not having to worry about leaks. You just can't beat those Germans for being finicky about quality control . The only better head gasket you can get for a diesel is a MLS ( multi layer steel ) gasket.
I find it hard to believe that the gasket is the problem.

------------Robert

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Kevin

You sure that's not for a 7.3? I thought the 6.9 is 80 ft. lbs.

110 is for a 7.3 with new bolts. I just checked the factory manual. I don't have a factory 6.9 manual so I'm not sure what that would say.

--------Robert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online