one more air intrusion thread

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've got air getting in somewhere, but can't figure out where.
the truck isn't too hard to start, but it cranks over longer than i think it should.
so this morning i checked the fuel filter....it's full.
cranked it for about 10-15 seconds, and checked the schrader valve on the filter head. no fuel, put
a little bit of air.
filter still full.
cranked it again. same thing at schrader valve. air. just a tiny dribble of fuel.

the following are things i've replaced. no to throw parts at a problem, but due to age.
new, not reman, bb injectors.
return lines/caps/o rings.
all the olives.
removed the fuel filter heater bc it was leaking. used cold steel and a penny to plug the hole. no leaks there
timing is at 8.5
i haven't fixed the pick-ups in the tanks yet, but both tanks are full right now.
there aren't any leaks under the truck, no smell of fuel.
once the truck is started it fires off every time really quick.

so the only thing i can think of is the lift pump. my oil isn't fuely or thin, but i'm thinking maybe the spring
is getting weak?

oh yea, the glow plugs are working/cycling like they're supposed to according to the tests i've done with a volt/ohm meter.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lift pump is getting weaker an also if the battery's are showing age right now slow cranking then that will make the lift pump look even worse. This weather took out three batterys of mine.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 93 drw was bought for cheap now makin her completly run on what she came with for a year just because I want to she is all original ip injectors plugs an all leaky caps an such an no gp system she starts in about 20seconds to key cycles.

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Batteries are about 2 months old and good also

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If nothing is wet I would blame the lift pump. Air is hard to get into the lines when everything is new unless it was installed not so well. I went with an electric pump an it starts perfect now.

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't done the volume test yet.

As a side note tho my dad gave me two low pressure(8psi or so) carter rotary vane pumps and a facet pump. Probably just not use the mechanical lift pump all together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online