One good, one question mark

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
So I finally got the recovered stolen truck running again today. Seems that it stopped running for the thieves, so they abandoned it. All it needed was a new starter solenoid ($14).

The newly acquired 4x4 is a different story altogether. Everyone said it ran like stink the last time they saw it started, about 6 months ago. Icanfixall and I went to pick it up, hoping that we could get it to run, if just to put it on the dolly (another story for a beer soaked evening). Well, we got it to turn over, but had no GP light, and only one shot of ether that we found at the hangar. So no go there, but it was winched up on the dolly for the ride home. I charged the batteries and cleaned the cables and clamps so I would get the best contact possible. The engine turns over and even tries to fire a little with a shot of ether, but nothing yet. Tomorrow is another day. Maybe I'll try adding diesel to the tanks.

A side issue is the amount of oil that seems to be running out of the intake into the filter housing after I turn it over for a while. Gary checked the oil at the hangar before we tried anything, and there was just a hint of oil on the very end of the dipstick. Probably 6 quarts left in the pan. I think the turbo seals are shot and when I turn over the engine, it is pumping oil out like crazy. Hence the low dipstick reading. So the $500 4x4 is maybe a scrapper unless I can get things straightened out. My son was kind of hot to take it off roading and get all muddy, but it has to run first.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Meke.. I remember the air box showing some oil and was thinking about that. The box was also kinda dirty. Likely the filter may not have been a proper fit or it was a newer filter. The oil might be from the cdr valve. Those are not a last forever item. I was doing some reading and found these cdr valves should be changed around 50,000 miles. Somewhere it was posted every other oil change but I think thats too often. If its trying to fire on either it wil fire ob diesel. Its just a waiting game as to when it runs. Hopefully the turbo isn't fubared. Did you fish out the "tools" under the tool box yet???:sly

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Yeah, I got most of everything out. I have a trash can half full from all of the crap in the bed.

The tanks register when I switch, so there is something in them. Tomorrow I will put some fresh diesel in one and see if that helps. Now I need it to run so I can get the other truck out for work!

I was reading about the CDR valve today, and the amount of oil coming out is way more than would be generated by blowby. It flows out of the intake port, and it is flowing clean now, just like the new oil I put in the crankcase. After looking at the rest of the truck's condition, I am not at all surprised.

magusjinx

Reaction score
As for not starting, when I first got my F250 there was a rats nest in the tailpipe ... Spent 2 battery recharges to finally build pressure to blow it out ...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online