One decent truck out of two.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
I can't get this damn dowel to let go. Pissed off, Tired, and hurting.
Been fighting with it since last night. Can I take the 4 bolts out and pull motor/clutch/bellhousing?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had that problem with the E40D in chip truck.i was removing the trans (for the first time in it's life no doubt) to install an upgraded converter and mod the front pump.one of the dowel pins fought me the whole way.it took forever spraying the thing with wd40 and pb blaster penetrating oils.i just kept spraying and rocking the trans up and down (or spinning it i guess would be the correct description.) it must of took an hour for the thing to finally separate.i had never seen anything like it.

just spray it and walk away is probably what i should of done.you may get lucky.no doubt you've been spraying the heck out of yours too.perhaps an overnight soaking will do it good and tomorrow she'll fall right apart.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try that 50/50 mix of tranny fluid and acetone...that stuff works great. Spray it and let it sit over night.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
heavy but pull the whole SOB right out together and deal with it latter where you can get at it better.there's almost always more than one way to skin a cat.:D

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Trying not to do that. Will the tcase even come out through the front?

Hosed it down with penetro, hopefully some of it will make it to that pin. Leaving the hoist on it overnight to keep some pulling pressure on it.

Ill give it till the weekend, then I might give up for a while and put it back in the shed.

My elbows hurt like a ***** and I'm tired of laying on gravel with attacking mosquitoes.

I've tried prying, hammering, shaking, different hoisting positions, pushed the truck forward and almost knocked over the A frame, and even almost ran my jeep out of fuel running the oba so I could air hammer it.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The transfer case adds a lot of mass to one side, and it wants to rotate the trans. Remove the t-case and the four bolts holding the trans to the bell housing. you can support the trans with a 4x4 and chain inside the cab.

Attachments

• DSC00151.jpg
    DSC00151.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 139

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
I might try that. How heavy is the tcase? I'm a skinny *******, 5'7" 140. Not exactly the strongest. Lol

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The t-case is pretty awkward. I am the same size as you and getting old. I used the skid plate loosely bolted on the drivers side and supported by a floor jack on the other end. I put a piece of wood under the case to keep it from falling. After freeing it I lowered the floor jack and wrestled it to the ground. I remember doing the same job when I was younger and just manhandling it. It will be harder to get back in place, taking it out gravity is your friend.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Depends.
If it's the bw 1356? (The aluminum one, forget if that's the right number) it'll be no problem. I put mine in by hand only. I would say it's about 80lbs, I'm about same size as you.
If it's the np, it may be a little heavier. Lol

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had that problem with my ZF. I fought that thing for two hours trying to get it apart... and I had the cab, front clip and bed off the truck. :eek:

I don't know why it was such a PIA.

If its a T19 I think you could probably unbolt the bellhousing and leave it and teh pressure plate on the motor. I think the input shaft should just slide out if you pull the clutch fork etc out of the way. Never done a T18 or T19.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online