One battery?

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone here experiment with just using one battery? Since my 89 is down at the moment for trans swap and the new DB starter is removed from it, I went ahead and installed it in my 86 and I'll just order another one for the 89. I cant believe how fast that thing spins! It spun fast in the 89 but not this fast. I unhooked one battery just to see what it would actually do for cranking and it still turned pretty darn quick, enough for starting.
I'm thinking with one big battery, a person could use the other empty battery area for a CAI. What ya'll think? I've heard mention of people trying it but never heard end results.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you use a gear reduction starter I'll do it. Just be aware you won't have the crank time in cold weather if it decides to start hard

Lithgow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first gen Dodge Cummins only had one battery (it is a big one though!) If you ever have any hard to start issues, 2 is definitely better. It would be nice to relocate one or both batteries out of the engine compartment for more room, and maybe a little better weight distribution.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if its warm out one battery should be fine if its a good battery, if its cold then two batteries

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first gen Dodge Cummins only had one battery (it is a big one though!) If you ever have any hard to start issues, 2 is definitely better. It would be nice to relocate one or both batteries out of the engine compartment for more room, and maybe a little better weight distribution.

5.9 also usually starts 1st crank over...

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Been running one battery for just over a year now, so long as you don't have any starting problems your good to go :)

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will start but..voltage drop.Current and voltage are directly proportional.If voltage drops,current must rise .When you introduce a large momentary load,the voltage drop causes a spike in the amperage.This shreds the commutators and brush's inside the starter. for example 120 volt 1 amp load...12 volt is 10X less voltage..so..current must rise 10x.To do the same amt of work,you must now deliver 12v and 10 amps to the device.Think about fuse size in the breaker box in your home..and then compare fuse size in your vehicle.Thats why such large fuses in a 12v system.The cummins is aprox 17:1 comp.our trucks around 21-22:1.Thats a lot of difference.Plus 84 cubic inch difference in cid(friction rolling her over) I am with you on the Cummins.I dont think mine makes a full revolution before it starts in any weather,and have not figured out why direct inj starts easier.I have studied these Ricardo/Comet combustion chamber designs.The pre combustion chamber serves 2 main purposes.A small area can only contain a given amt of oxygen,promoting slower flame propogation which slows the combustion process.The military used this design on the multifeul engins because it allows the use of sev diff fuels including gasoline..the fuel cant explode early b/cause there isnt enough oxygen to support it.Also,containing the heat in a small area when the g/plugs are activated keeps the btu's contained to a smaller area for better cold starts.The slot size(in the pre cup) has a large effect on flame propagation.6.5 turbo heads use a diff slot size(bigger) than the 6.2(unless a military 6.2) mil 6.2 have a "ping"that is much diff than reg 6.2 just for this reason.

Last edited:

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The book also said that modern diesels use more than 1 burst of fuel.The new 6.7 use up to 7(i believe thats what i read) injections/pwr stroke to keep down noise,lowers Nox due to less "pressure spike" and less strain on rotating assembly.Our old motors get 1 large shot,and without a precup to slow down the process(combustion) would be really loud and have more vibration due to that spike.My job is 12hr shifts with nothing to do unless something melts down or loses calibration..reading passes the time....

FordGuy100

Reaction score
A cummins also has less displacement and lower compression, which means it isn't going to require as much force to turn over vs an IDI.

I would feel conforatable with one battery as long as temps didn't fall below 20*F, but that's just me and my truck.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've watched quite a few youtube videos and can say that one battery would not work for all IH idi's, some are just hard starters. I've been lucky with this 86 over the last few years, because it always starts on the first couple of cranks (old starter), even down to 25 degrees. I also have to give credit to having an electric fuel pump, I think they really help for starting, especially if a truck is prone to have a little air intrusion overnight.
Obviously a good glow plug system and correct timing is a big plus also.
I started the 86 this morning at 55 degrees and it lit off as soon as I hit the key, both batteries connected. Just for giggles, I'm going to try it tomorrow morning with one but the real test would be to do it in the dead of winter.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
High compression.. 8 glow plugs and larger cubes all point to 2 batteries

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I accidentally ran with one battery from march this year til October. Then had a cold day and looked for why I couldn't start. When I relocated the batteries to the flatbed, I forgot to hook one back up. Oops.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have personally started a 7.3 a number of times on one battery...it worked well. NOT as well as two however.

That being said, if your ONE battery had the capacity of an 8D I'd say go for it, however seeing as that's not likely the case, I'd strongly suggest against it.

Want more underhood room, fab up a frame mount for under passengers side, then run a REALLY short BIG wire to the starter and a good 1/0 to the solenoid for powering the rest of the trucks systems....

Don't forget to fab up a quick connect for jumper cables too..cause reaching under the cab in snow or mud...would suck!

May not be jumping you..could be jumping someone else!

JM2CW