Old truck - New owner. It needs some love.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best heavy duty cleaner for a gunked up Injection Pump (minus the atf trick) is run a heavy dose of hotshot's diesel extreme through a couple tanks. It will clean up that pump better than any other additive, and Ive tried them all. Anything is better than nothing, as far as the timing post a video of the truck idling at temp and we should be able to tell you if its way off.

Ryan Cowper

Reaction score
as far as the timing post a video of the truck idling at temp and we should be able to tell you if its way off
I'll post that video shortly and grab some Hotshots next time I go out. I am planning to do the ATF trick, but not till my Rock Auto shipment with the new fuel filter comes in. Any thoughts on the Marvels vs. ashless 2 cycle? Much appreciated.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep add the MMO just before you fill up. It's not for lubrication but for the cleaning.

Mine was a real dog when I got it and after many little things it's not bad anymore... For a tired old diesel with very worn injectors.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would run the two cycle routinely but just run the MMO in one tank. Unless you want to pony up for the hotshots instead. I'm cheap lol.

Ryan Cowper

Reaction score
@chillman88 Noted. Lord knows I would rather be cheap. But, I'm taking into consideration that I'd probably save money in the long run if I can do something now to get better than 8mpg.

Ryan Cowper

Reaction score
How would I upload an mp4? I can look around to see if I can figure it out but figured it might be quicker to ask.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@chillman88 Noted. Lord knows I would rather be cheap. But, I'm taking into consideration that I'd probably save money in the long run if I can do something now to get better than 8mpg.

That mpg is way low. I get better than that in a NA van towing a 7000lb travel trailer with a c6......and I need to replace my IP/injectors pretty bad. You should easily be getting double that with normal driving. A fuel additive etc could help, but I highly doubt it will solve it. Have you checked to make sure you don’t have a brake dragging?
Have you started turning down the pump. Unfortunately, if the PO mechanic turned the pump up for more power on a NA IDI then what it really means is that he had no idea what he was doing with an IDI. Turning up the IP on a NA does nothing but blow smoke, waste fuel and elevate your EGTs.

Turning it up on a turbo engine can help quite a bit with a few other tweaks. On an NA nothing but trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Cowper

Reaction score
@jayro88 I've felt around the rear drums and front rotors for excessive heat after driving and it's warm but not hot. No nasty smells. I don't get the feeling that it's dragging, the thought did occur.

Ryan Cowper

Reaction score
Here's a video of my truck running at operating temp.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t have the well trained ear that a lot of the diesel gurus have, but it didn’t sound way off to me.

I say turn the fuel down 1-2 flats, run the additives through it and give it a couple tanks of fuel calculating the mpg by hand.

That is where I would start. I would be REALLY surprised if u didn’t see a big improvement by doing those things.

Ryan Cowper

Reaction score
@jayro88 There's another possibility, it's entirely possible that I didn't use up all the fuel from the tank. The truck is new to me and I've only used one tank of fuel. I have not filled the empy yet, once I do I'll see how many gallons it will take back in.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jayro88 There's another possibility, it's entirely possible that I didn't use up all the fuel from the tank. The truck is new to me and I've only used one tank of fuel. I have not filled the empy yet, once I do I'll see how many gallons it will take back in.

Yeah. Doing it that way won’t give you an accurate mpg, especially if the shower heads in the tanks are broke. Both were broke on my van. Only way to get an accurate measurement is to fill the tank and record the mileage. Then when u fill it up agian you know how many gallons you used and the miles you drove.

Ryan Cowper

Reaction score
It sat a lot before I got it. Cobwebs and mouse ****. For the last 10 years it was used as a secondary farm truck, getting hay and trailering horses to the PCT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online