Okay, I did it, Ignorant question #1

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I have been through these problems. It may be true that the 6.9 is self bleeding if everything works perfectly. However I ditched the high point in the fuel return system on the filter head. It can still get a real good gulp of air even with the stock system if that is the case, loosen the line at the back of the IP and crank until you have fuel there, then loosen as many of the injection lines at the pump has you crank and crank that over a few cycles, all the time you should have the nuts at the injectors loose. If you pull the purple wire at the glow plug relay so that the glow plugs don't cycle until you actually have fuel at the injectors you'll save the batteries a bit. If you can have the batteries on a trickle charge and then if you have one of the short term jump boxes or 50 amp engine starts on the batt. charger you can use that for a bit. It also might be worth checking the fuel filter for water or junk. It is likely that took out the second pump but far from certain as a good rotary pump is difficult to build.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I can without a doubt tell you my 6.9 is not, or never was self bleeding. Never heard that before, but in my limited experience, it is not even close to the case.

I had a primary fuel filter clog the other day. Changed it, and I HAVE an electric pump. It would not start, after about 2 hours of crank and wait, I cracked 4 lines loose, cranked twice tightened them and it fired off, ran rough a few minutes then cleared it's throat and has been running ever since. I filled the new filter, filled the secondary 7.3 filter and there was no way in hell it would start without bleeding.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That has been my experience most of the time, however, there have been a couple times when I was on the road and ran out of fuel that I got it started pretty easily with little or no bleeding. Once I had the boat hooked up and I was waiting at a stoplight and there was a dump truck behind me...waiting. I'm real glad it restarted pretty easily that time. I try not to run out of fuel anymore.

cpm

Reaction score
Okay,

Well, all kinds of things happened last friday, starting with my father passing peacefully
in his sleep at about 5am, after a long, long bout w/alzheimers. It was a real blessing
to all. His final expression was one of pure joy, so for all you doubters out there about
what comes next, I promise, if he could tell ya, he'd tell ya.

So, I finally got back on the truck, and armed with 'It'll just work, if it works' I finally
managed to crank it down to where I wasn't comfortable. (I was cranking only for
10-15 secs, and waiting a minute for the starter to cool down a bit).

I fiddled with cracking injectors, and cracking the IP supply line, and I was not getting
fuel like I'd like.

Turns out the fellow who built this truck, had done away with the return line and capped
the return line feed at the filter. The little rubber cap had succumbed to the fuel and had
cracked, as fuel would occasionally spurt out of it. I learned this by rigging up a starter
button I could use from the engine compartment. That would explain why I was smelling
wafts of diesel from time to time.

So, I fixed that, and then bled things out systematicaly, though half-heartedly. I was
starting to lose faith. It being an emotional time. "I've obviously got compression, and
I'm obviously getting fuel, though bubbly".

Once i saw fuel weep from everywhere it should be, I tightened it all back up, and
checked my work. Hooked up jumper cables from my dearly beloved though horribly
abused '98 Sub Outback (that has an Optima and good cable clamps), and let that
sit for a while as i had lunch.

Came back, turned the key, waited for the glow plug relay to 'clack', hit my remote
starter, and she spun, coughed a few times, caught, and smoothed out after a few
minutes.

All is well.

Thanks kindly for all the clues and hints, and I've learned a lot about this truck,
already, it was an adventaure of sorts. and it seems some careful and thoughful effort
put into the fuel supply system will be time well spent.

Thanks again.

--So ends ignorant question #1, no doubt there will be more.
Great resource, this forum.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mother in law has dimentia. I'm ready for her to go any minute. You are blessed. Sounds like the truck is in a better way now too. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RETURN LINE ISSUES -- MAYBE

I sort of suspect that the engines that seem to require injector-line bleeding have some kind of issues going on with the return line system.

Ever since I first got my truck, the return line would circle a tremendous amount of fuel, far more than the engine could possibly use.

I have three fuel tanks on manual valves; thus, I can draw from one tank and return into another, should I so desire.

This fuel cycling through the return lines will continue, even when the engine is not running.

When I go to bed at night, I can set the fuel valves to draw fuel from a full tank and return to an empty tank; the next morning, that empty tank will be full.

My theory is that those engines, that require actual line bleeding to start, have a restriction in the fuel return system, and are not cycling fuel fast enough to purge air from the system.

This deficciency can lead to premature injector-pump failure; as, the fuel that cycles through the return-lines serves to cool and lubricate the pump.

That is just my theory.

2manydsls

Reaction score
Another thing to remember is to depress accelerator pedal fully when trying to prime system as very little fuel goes through system when at idle.
Sorry about your dad, my mom is about half way through her bout with "oldtimers". Still functioning somewhat but declining weekly.
Glad you got her started.
Ross

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Generally if I have this problem, I just get out, and push the shrader valve, while someone turns it over. It seems to me that once the filter is full again, It'll start and run long enough to clear the air.

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
Hi CPM I too am from WV I live about 9 miles west of Martinsburg in Berkeley county. I am glad to read you got your truck running right!! Nice to see another WV IDI guy posting!! ;Sweet

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Mother in law has dimentia. I'm ready for her to go any minute. You are blessed.
I feel for all of you. It's a rough one!!
We lost my mother in '77 after 9 yr fighting it, & she wasn't but barely 59. Of 4 kids I was the oldest @ 26.
Early '70's the Dr's in Denton, Tx that diagnosed it told us kids Alzheimers was so rare that she was one of 2500 people in US that had it, & wasn't much known about it! And older folks that got like that in their 70's, 80's, 90's.....well that was just old age, hardening of arteries, time to go....some got old, & some folks didn't.
Turns out, 6 kids in mom's family, 3 got it....oldest @ 98.

Fuel lines: few yr ago I got rid of my hard steel lines like one going from filter to inlet of IP & solved fuel leaks from cracked steel lines, loose fittings, gaskets, dirty greasy intake valley, etc.

Now all I have to watch for is greasy GOAT hair that sticks in radiator & engine compartment from passing hotrod Cummings...:D :D :D :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Greasy goat hair in the radiator....... Now that is just plain funny times ten.....:rotflmao What you should have on your bumper is this little guy showing his best....:moon:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I put an IP on a Cummins ISC today, a P pump it was.....What a poison POS it was to start:backoff ....Nothing a can of brake cleaner and a 3/4" wrench didn't fix.:D ...I crank, Jimmy spray's and cracks a few lines....Bingo - tis alive...:rotflmao ....Same old problem after 20 minutes, #4 delivery valve in the pump not doing **** again...We've had the pump to the local pump shop twice now with no change...I can take #4 line off at the pump and hold my thumb over the pump.:eek: ...They say the pump works great and meets all Bosch specs....Climbing a steep grade in 2nd gear, running 2100rpm at 25km/h in a garabage truck - I beg to differ.....cookoo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger