ok thinkin of burnin motor oil

bigoilburner19

Reaction score
ok now im thinkin of converting to motor oil is there a specific oil to use just to burn or any will do and what do i have to do to convert???? anything will my stock fuel pump work ? anything to add plz tell me

merc240d

Reaction score
what are you driving? depends on what you have to what extent you need to convert...

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*set up some sort of elaborate filtering system.
*Run a heated fuel tank.
*switch over to oil when the motor is warmed up.
*switch back to diesel a couple of miles before shutdown.

I am using a centrifuge to clean the oil.I will be picking up a "fish cooker" to boil any water out of the oil before and after filtering.

oil at room temp is about 100X thicker than diesel.At 212 it is about 10X thicker.Even then it should be blended with diesel to thin the mixture out some more.

oil will carbon up the pistons/injectors/valves etc when it is burned without the engine at operating temp.That killed a set of injectors on my 89 Dodge W250 diesel.Now I need to make a heated oil tank, and do some more work on filtering stuff.I am thinking boil oil, then pour hot oil through an old shirt into the hopper for the centrifuge,centrifuge it a couple of times, boil it again,then mix it with diesel for use as a fuel.

As for you once you have done all that see how your truck likes the oil so run a small percentages then work your way up..Remember even running 30% oil means you are saving a good bit,no need to get greedy...

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
What kind of feedback have you gotten from other users with other fuel injection systems? I have read that the Stanadyne pumps are kinda touchy when it comes to excessive heat added to WVO, how about WMO?

bigoilburner19

Reaction score
well thats cool so how many times do i filter it and what is a centrifuge ? and plus i thought i could just filter it and that would be it and what temp is a good temp to put in my truck when its done

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
let me clarifly that you want to filter the bejuzus out of the oil.-to remove metal and other deposits in the oil...

as for injection temps,have the fuel at 212*F before it goes in the engine to help thin it out...although rumor has it that the high temps may reduce the life expectancy of a rotary pump a little bit.Not sure why though...If you could figure out a why to thin the oil to about the consistancey of diesel with out extreme temps or extremly corrosive materials than you would be golden...err black LOL

bigoilburner19

Reaction score
well can i do a 6040 mix of diesel and oil or what i mean i have no clue what im allowed to use in my diesel as far as fuel like alchol etc.

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try not to use alcohol in any large portion at all in a diesel.Alcohol is hydrophillic. All of the water it absorbs acts like sandpaper on the injectors and such.Heck even the oil you have to be sure to get the water out.

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just find a way to heat small batches of oil to well over the boiling point of water to get the water out.Say heat a 5 gallon batch at a time to 250*F.Then let it cool down without drawing in water and run it as fuel after all of your mods to the rig...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a simple and somewhat cost effective way to heat oil. I know it may sound funny, but goto your favorite store, and this time of year almost everywhere has them, including the supermarket. Get yourself a large turkey fryer. Dont overload the pot, just like you are cooking and that will give you a small batch and heat reletivly quickly. I know some people goto a water heater in a larger system, but a turkey frier is a good start. I think Trav used that trick for a while........

Disclaimer - If you use the pot for motor oil, do not later use it to cook your Turkey...... Make this a deticated unit. Just putting this out there, I dont want the stories in a couple of weeks "I fried my turkey for thanksgiving and it tasted really funny.... I only had one so I used the one that I had been heating my waste oil in......"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance