ok school me on autos

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, I'll add one little tidbit here...

I've put in a manual wire/switch to be able to override the computer for the TC lockup. Basically when I want the TC to lock and stay locked, I throw the switch. It will stay locked till the engine stalls if I come to a stop!!

Now, if you take your foot out of the throttle with the TC locked manually(that's all the switch does), the rpms stay the same, the truck decelerates via the engine like a manual, and the trans does not go into neutral....

So far, I haven't even forgotten to unlock it when coming to a stop, but I've heard it can be quite exciting(and bad for the tranny) to do this.

Zigg :)

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
IT will stay locked in the lower gears ie 1 and 2nd?

thats really surprising that ford engineers allowed that and theres no over ride in the valve body

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IT will stay locked in the lower gears ie 1 and 2nd?

thats really surprising that ford engineers allowed that and theres no over ride in the valve body

In general, the valve body will hydraulically lock out the lockup, but I won't claim to have tried stalling my truck with the TC clutch. I have made mine lock in 2nd gear though. Thought it would be good to eliminate the slip for better fuel economy, but ended up just causing drivability problems so 3rd gear is now the earliest that my PCM can command lockup.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:D i find the most noticeable time is when going up a slight slight hill with a little throttle pressure :D

Aight, tried it yesterday, the converter does indeed unlock when the brake lights come on, even if the throttle is still in. Didn't need hills for that either, I can feel it just fine on level ground and the, tach jumps up and down good too.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Aight, tried it yesterday, the converter does indeed unlock when the brake lights come on, even if the throttle is still in. Didn't need hills for that either, I can feel it just fine on level ground and the, tach jumps up and down good too.

:D hehehe right on, its kinda something fun to play with when your bored :D

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, my whole truck is something fun to play with when I'm bored - like, tomorrow, I'm locking my fan to the water pump pulley again, as the darn thing almost overheated on me today in Chicago - over an hour in 10 mph traffic at near 80F is a very good way of testing if your clutch is shot, well mine most definitely is. Haven't decided yet how exactly I'm gonna do this whole thing, my old brackets cracked at the bend, so I think this time I'm gonna go with longer L-shaped pieces of steel, or 4 fat springs to allow some torque damping upon startup and shutoff...

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
guess I'll add my 2bits. Things I've discovered-if you decell by letting off the throttle the convertor will unlock-then step on the throttle quickly -you will see the tach rise and stop rising very snappy,then drop quickly approx 300 RPM at crusing speeds.That indicstes that the convertor allows a slippage of approx 300 rpms.If it jumps randomly and locks back up firmly -that is correct. I had this happen to me,I thouroghly cleaned every connector to the trans including the ones near tha master cylinder-FIXED it!! not saying it is positively the problem but a good point to check first.