ok new problem, I need help with brakes!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok im deleting that RABS crap. about the PS hose, isnt there some type of chevy adapter or something of that sort that will allow the factory ford hose end to thread right into that dodge pump? if so i will definately do that!

The best fix for the steering hose is to get a real good measurement, then take the Ford gear-box end and the Dodge/Cummins pump end to a hydraulic hose shop and have a new hose crimped on.

It may exist, but, in all my many years of studying engine swaps, I have never read/heard of any simple bolt-in adaptor fix.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey man upon closer investigation it turns out my brand new 2 month ago wheel cylinder is leaking. So i'm sure you already checked for leaks back there; But i missed this, thinking i JUST put it in it CANT be leaking.
So moral of the story is check for leaks with the drums off if you haven't already because it doesn't have to be a big leak

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought .. Are the calipers installed on the correct sides? I installed mine backwards on my '75 Ford once and had the bleeder valves facing down. They installed perfectly, but with the valves facing down there was a huge air pocket that was not able to bleed out. I'm not sure if they can be switched on these trucks, but they sure do look like they can.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
ok guys swapped out the master cylinder for my original one off my blue truck before i did hydroboost on it. brand new calipers in the front, definately installed correctly, and RABS thing bypassed. bled and bled and bled. thought i had it good and started the truck. pushed on the pedal and it held pressure long enough for me to get excited and yell to my wife it worked!!! and then pedal went to the floor. pumped it again and it held pressure for a split second and slowly went to the floor. so i got a vacuum bleeder did the fronts. no big deal. did both sides of the rear and im not completely getting clear fluid. it cloudy with tiny tiny bubbles. i bled probably 3 cups of fluid. set the e brake and felt the pedal. it was hard as a rock! good sign. started the truck and theyre doing the same damn thing!! i checked and checked for leaks. only place that seems to be leaking is where the reservoir sits on the MC in the grommets. dont know why but it leaked on the old MC there too. so i have two options. keep ******* around bleeding the rears, or call napa and see if theyll crimp the dodge end on a ford PS hose ans hurry up and do the hydroboost swap. and new rear wheel cylinders... what are peoples thoughts after this lengthy description??

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking you have air in your rear lines. I fought and fought an 04 subaru that did the same thing. I finally got it bled good enough to feel safe driving it, but it took a while for it to feel right. I would go back to basics and make sure to bench bleed the master cylinder well then start bleeding wheels starting at the farthest one and going until the closest wheel to the master cylinder. Ofcourse make sure the rear brakes are adjusted right. I'd also look for any spongy rubber lines. Good luck. Poor brakes really stink. Especially on these big of vehicles.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
its not that it merely stinks, it makes it flat out impossible to drive much less to a bigass camper with the family in the truck! just getting edgy and stressed. i have exactly four days to get EVERYTHING squared away with this truck to go to the rally... but yes ill try bleeding one more time tomorrow...

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
ok my frustration is really mounting here. spent all day changing out rear wheel cylinders and shoes. adjusted them up real good. bled the thing out good (i think anyhow), and fired it up. it held pedal pressure real nice for 2 or 3 seconds then slowly sank to the floor again !!!!! and wont build pressure again. in a full-on panic stop the pedal goes clear down and it may think about sorta sliding the rear wheels... maybe. so to recap i have new calipers, hoses, and pads. deleted RABS valve, new wheel cylinders and shoes in the back, and swapped out the master cylinder for one off my blue truck from when i swapped it to hydroboost. im just not getting this...

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
It is a booster issue like I said earlier. Go hydroboost, or track down a zero loss booster. Hydroboost is cheaper.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are your bleeder fittings the highest part on your rear wheel cylinders? I messed up one time like someone else mentioned, but it was on the rear. I had the rear cylinders swapped side to side(was another vehicle, not a truck) and the line was on top, the bleeder was a little bit lower, and I fought it for a week till I realized what was going on. There must have been a little air bubble in the top of the wheel cylinder that just would not get out of there with the bleeder too far down.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a service bulletin regarding mushie brakes.

I'm going hydro, have all the arts, but the cost even from a wrecker is still more than buying this doohick.

FWIW:

"1997 and earlier diesel trucks equiped with vacuum power brakes--Low/creeping pedal:
Many owners have complained of a low or creeping brake pedal on their trucks, often mistaken for a bad master cylinder or Rear ABS valve. If the condition occurs after the vehicle has come to a stop, and no other brake concerns are found, (worn or out-of-adjusted brakes, cocked pads, or hydraulic problems) the condition is normal and the result of the vacuum pump replenishing the vacuum inside the power booster. Ford has developed a Zero-Loss Travel brake booster to correct this condition if the customer finds it unacceptable. This part is only for use on diesel-equiped trucks--P/N F5TZ-2005-CA--and is not a service replacement; it must be ordered by the part number, not vehicle application.

This condition is similar to the low brake pedal concern on all 1995 F-series that required a larger-diameter master cylinder."

Can order one from here:

http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-booster-asy-brake_f5tz-2005-ca.html

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Something else to look at, have the wife push the pedal and make sure non of your softlines are ballooning on you. Good luck

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
ya i heard about that zero loss booster, i think from an earlier response. i have most of the parts to do hydroboost aside from having a custom hose made. i put this off cuz i didnt want to spend the time back when the front clip was off and it wouldve been super easy. now i get to do it at crunch time when its more difficult. so this time tomorrow i will know for sure if hydro solves the problem.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all your problems of bleeding the brake system, try this. On the ABS valve there is a large nut like, unscrew it and there will be a spring in there on top of a plunger, remove only the spring, put the nut back on, pump the brake peddle 3-4 times, remove that nut and put the spring back in, test your brakes, they should be solid with no drift. That is bleeding the ABS. Use only DOT 3 or 4 on an ABS system, never DOT 5, DOT 5 is synthetic and will not mix with DOT 3 or 4 very well. DOT 3-4 is HYDROSCOPIC, meaning it will absorb water (moister in the air) so keep the MC covered as much as possible. DOT 5 being synthetic will not absorb water, but as said, it don't work good in an ABS system.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
one nice little toy for bleeding that if you ever get one, you will wonder how you ever lived without it, is a Motive Bleeder THis little critter is a light duty version of a shop pressure bleeder and will allow you to one man bleed at a high enough pressure to eliminate any air from the system that may be trying to hide

Do make sure to have your shoes adjusted up to where teh drums will just barely slide over them before starting and if there's a big lip of metal, either take the drums in and have them turned to clean them up or get some new drums ( at least measure the dang things and make sure that you havent exceeded maximum diameter, there is a reason that they have that number stamped on the things) and if all is goodadjust them out nice and tight before proceeding

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
ok finally did the hydroboost swap with the bigger master cylinder and it works great. hell i didnt even bleed the brakelines! thank you guys for all your input and suggestions!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online