Ok I give up. What causes an oil filter to leak at the o-ring?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Oh I see good call I can actually watch it leak out. So I know exactly where its coming from I just don't know why its doing it haha.

This is the most complicated simple problem I've ever had in my life LOL

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
think the surface could be warped? i would be careful cleaning up the surface even you do not want to creat an artificial low spot. remember Heaths headgaskets that would not seal, differant area but same idea.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That makes perfect sense to me. What you're doing is taking the tension off the rubber O ring, and leaving only the compression. I never would have thought of the idea, but it sounds real good.;Sweet

Which Bill told you about this? We have OMB and OB8. I can easily see where either one of them could have understood to do this.

Thanks...

An it was my mentor in hi school Bill Okos at Okanagan Speed and Equipment!

He dun leerned me goodr waze uf duin stuff;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
To check the seal base of the filter header use a flat file and run it over the sealing sruface. Any high spots will drag the file and a low spot will not clean up. Its difficult to explaing how running a flat file over the sealing surface cleans up the high spots but it does. You could very vwell have messed up the regulater part of the filter pressure end. Thats going to cause you to remove the oil cooler again to have a look see. I too have always had a small leak at this same oil filter gasket so I will try loosening the filter to reset the gasker too. I always thought I read that grease was to be used on the gasket but I use the oil going in the engine...

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine leaks if I hand tighten the filter. I gotta put a strap wrench on it to get it to seal.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had bad luck with the fl-1995 motorcraft filters. The first one I installed, the rubber seal didn't seal properly and it kept leaking oil. So then I put a strap on it and tightened it down more and it still leaked. I then gave up and installed a microguard on it. Next oil change, I figured I would try the fl-1995 filter one more time. Well this time it wouldn't even screw onto the filter head all the way so I smashed it on the ground and returned it back to Walmart lol. I installed the powerstroke microguard filter and once again, no problems. I give up on those filters.
Anyways, I hope you resolve your leak. You can rub the filter head surface with steel wool to help smooth it out.

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was the o-ring surface out of true? use a machined straight edge if you can get your hands on one.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a leak I thought was the filter that was a steady drip. It ended up being a round plug with a 3/8 drive in it above the filter. Very hard to see and even had to make a special tool to get to it. Take filter off and look underneath oil cooler above where the the filter screws on. I replaced 3 filters before I discovered it and countless quarts of oil. Hope this helps

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
The amount of help, knowledge and tips you guy's share here on Oilburners blows me away. You just can't find this on any of the other forums ;Really

Thanks again everyone ;Sweet I'm going to hit it hard this weekend and see what I can come up with.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a good oil pressure guage? Could your oil pressure be higher after the oil cooler reseal? I have heard of the oil pressure relief valve sticking after cleaning due to rust forming on the spring. I think this happened to NMB2. His oil pressure was going way too high. Only way to verify would be to remove oil cooler. Ouch!

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I had a leak I thought was the filter that was a steady drip. It ended up being a round plug with a 3/8 drive in it above the filter. Very hard to see and even had to make a special tool to get to it. Take filter off and look underneath oil cooler above where the the filter screws on. I replaced 3 filters before I discovered it and countless quarts of oil. Hope this helps

I've seen this leak before also.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Crap, I checked every inch of the cooler assembly today and it is without a doubt the o-ring on the filter that is leaking. I was hoping it was one of those plugs but it wasn't. I put a strap wrench on it figuring what's the worse that could happen?! I got it to where it was only a dribble..... Another 1/4 turn made it leak worse than ever :puke: In Pennsylvanian terms: It was a gurshin out! LOL

I spent the morning pulling the cooler assembly back off and with it sitting on the work bench I can't see anything remotely wrong with it :dunno I've convinced I screwed up the regulators inside somehow. I have another cooler assembly that I know is good so I'm going to throw new o-rings on it and skip the solvent tank altogether.

If this doesn't work I'm going to set it on fire and shoot into the flames -Flame Thr :rotflmao

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I'm sure sorry your not finding the issues. Now that the cooler is on the bench lay a flat file that about 10 or 12 inches long on the sealing surface. Rub it back and forth smoothing out the seal area. Watch for low spots. Surely they will show up. A file is about as flat as you can get. Just make sure its a single cut file and get the smooth cut one. Any metal supply yard or mcmaster carr or grainger will have one. About getting the regulater section out of the housing. Its easy. A fine point burr on a dremmel tool wil cut out the staked aluminum. Now just shake it out or push it out. Then to instal it after you know its free stake it in other areas. Easy easy...

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
I have had bad luck with the fl-1995 motorcraft filters.

Yeah, I remember that, Ian. I mentioned your experience here while my engine was apart, to the surprise of a couple members.

Bought a 1995 mostly to see if the PS size would fit in the van. Am using the filter for a short interval oil run after head gaskets and such.

Then, it's back to a Baldwin. Yeah, I'm a Baldwin guy...... cookoo

Sorry to see you're not fixing your problem, Rot Box. It really shouldn't be this hard, but some issues will hound you forever, seems like.