Ok I give up. What causes an oil filter to leak at the o-ring?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
SUCCESS!!!!

Finally got it all squared away ;Sweet

To get everyone up to speed I had two oil coolers one was off of my parts engine (which has very low miles) and the other one is original to my truck. I rebuilt the one off my parts truck because it looked much nicer BUT after I re-installed it I soon found I couldn't get the oil filter o-ring to seal off for some reason and it leaked oil pretty bad. Everything looks perfect on it :dunno cookoo

I ran out of ideas so I pulled the cooler assembly back off and today I rebuilt my original oil cooler and installed it. Works great so far - yay! I can't explain why the other one didn't work but long story short I rebuilt 2 oil coolers $$$ and removed and installed 2 oil coolers which was a headache to say the least!

Anyway based off what I saw I would HIGHLY recommend rebuilding your oil cooler if you don't know the history on it. Both of mine were about to poop the bed the o-rings would just crumble in my hands.

I was nervous at first but its really not bad at all:

-Drain the coolant out of the radiator and driver side engine block drain
-Pull the power steering pump (2 bolts 9/16" and 5/8") and move it out of the way. Leave the lines and everything on it.
-Pull the steering shaft bolt (where it tightens to the steering box) out and move the shaft out of the way.
-Remove all 8 oil cooler bolts (9/16" in front 1/2" in the rear) and pull the cooler assembly out from underneath the rig.

Make sure the sealing surfaces are perfect before re-assembly :yell:

HUGE thanks to everyone who gave me advice in this thread and others. You guy's have saved my butt so many times and I can't tell you thanks enough ;Really

gandalf

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to us with the resolution. That's what we ultimately want, the resolution to a problem, not the nature of the problem. What we want to know is how to fix the problem. Far too often members find a cure but fail to let us all know. They leave us hanging with only the stated problem.

It's good to know the solution.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to us with the resolution. That's what we ultimately want, the resolution to a problem, not the nature of the problem. What we want to know is how to fix the problem. Far too often members find a cure but fail to let us all know. They leave us hanging with only the stated problem.

It's good to know the solution.

x2 on this. I suppose we are all guilty of it, but it is pretty irritating when people dont post the outcome of stuff.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Finally got it all squared away ;Sweet

To get everyone up to speed I had two oil coolers one was off of my parts engine (which has very low miles) and the other one is original to my truck. I rebuilt the one off my parts truck because it looked much nicer BUT after I re-installed it I soon found I couldn't get the oil filter o-ring to seal off for some reason and it leaked oil pretty bad. Everything looks perfect on it :dunno cookoo

I ran out of ideas so I pulled the cooler assembly back off and today I rebuilt my original oil cooler and installed it. Works great so far - yay! I can't explain why the other one didn't work but long story short I rebuilt 2 oil coolers $$$ and removed and installed 2 oil coolers which was a headache to say the least!

Anyway based off what I saw I would HIGHLY recommend rebuilding your oil cooler if you don't know the history on it. Both of mine were about to poop the bed the o-rings would just crumble in my hands.

I was nervous at first but its really not bad at all:

-Drain the coolant out of the radiator and driver side engine block drain
-Pull the power steering pump (2 bolts 9/16" and 5/8") and move it out of the way. Leave the lines and everything on it.
-Pull the steering shaft bolt (where it tightens to the steering box) out and move the shaft out of the way.
-Remove all 8 oil cooler bolts (9/16" in front 1/2" in the rear) and pull the cooler assembly out from underneath the rig.

Make sure the sealing surfaces are perfect before re-assembly :yell:

HUGE thanks to everyone who gave me advice in this thread and others. You guy's have saved my butt so many times and I can't tell you thanks enough ;Really

Glad to hear you got er going!! SO did you remove the steering shaft to gain acsess to the cooler bolts? Sorry for the dumb question, I have never done an oil cooler job....yet.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got er going!! SO did you remove the steering shaft to gain acsess to the cooler bolts? Sorry for the dumb question, I have never done an oil cooler job....yet.

I didn't completely remove it but I did removed the clamp bolt (where it attaches to the steering box its a 10mm head) and slid the shaft off of the splines--the bolt has to be removed in order to do this. It will tuck away nicely behind the fender trim giving plenty of room to work. Another method is to undo the motor mount on that side and raise the engine up with a jack. That seems like a lot more work to me but I'm sure it would work fine.

Dieselcrawler did a great writeup here on how to do it ;Sweet http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?44702-Oil-cooler-reseal

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online