ok 1994 dodge cummins 4x4

bigoilburner19

Reaction score
ok my boss has a cummins 4x4 and the transfer case shiter is bad he said something snapped and he can only use 2wd for good now.Ok my question is what snapped how do I fix it and I think it was a cable to engage the other driveshaft not sure but how intense is that and how long would it take to fix????

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
If the truck is still using the OE CAD(central axle disconnect) system it could have had a failure in the front axle. Check all the vac lines associated with the system.

Last edited:

bigoilburner19

Reaction score
well he had that once before and he changed that out and he used just a straight cable and yes HE IS ALIL HILLBILLY lol. but what im asking what is he connecting this cable to inside the transfer case

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
He is most likely using one of these- http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html
The cable runs to the passenger side of the front axle. Real piece of engineering on Chryslers part or would it be Dana?:rolleyes: luckily in late 01 they quit using this feature so my 02 is free of this engineering.
I have never had the joy of working on one of these systems so I cant help you too much more.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
I can't remember if it's a cable or a linkage. Shoudl be easy to see if you crawl under and take a look. If it's internal to the t-case then you're going to have to pull it, disassemble, and find the problem. The front axle is different and uses the vacuum actuator for the front.

When you shift the lever to 4-hi, does it go fully into position or not? If it goes all the way, does the front drive shaft turn or not?

bigoilburner19

Reaction score
well i found out finally the acutator on the front axle i.e. a plunger he drilled a hole and put the cable on that to pull it to engage nothing to do with the t-case hillbilly engineering at its best ladies and gentleman