oil weights?

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at the shop my uncle and i work at he has changed a few power stroke oil with some thinner motorcraft super duty 10-30 diesel oil, i was asking him if thats what they took normally or what.. and he said no i do this in the winter helps with cold starts... now? is this a powerstroke thing?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
For many areas 10w30 oil is the year round choice if you read what the operators hand book says. For me I prefer to run Delo 400 15w40 Chevron oil. Only once have I run the same weight but used the Motorcraft oil. It actually seemed to work better for me.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use SAE30 AMSOIL year round here in Miami Fl I worry about all my cold starts even when it is 90F outside.

I plug in everyday, Waiting right now to warm up, 30 weight oils and plugging in everyday leads to less fuel used and less engine wear at the end of ever year you operate, just Common Sense...

Javier

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
10w30 is what Ford now recommends for the Powerstrokes. The 7.3s and 6.0s do way better with it being that they use the oil to fire the injectors.

It also stays in grade better than 40 weights in them. The fuel system shears the oil pretty bad in the 6.0s. If you start out with 15W40 it will be closer to a 30 weight on the high end then a 40 weight as a result of shearing. The 10W30 will stay a 10W30 and it also helps stop injector stiction.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10w30 is what Ford now recommends for the Powerstrokes. The 7.3s and 6.0s do way better with it being that they use the oil to fire the injectors.

It also stays in grade better than 40 weights in them. The fuel system shears the oil pretty bad in the 6.0s. If you start out with 15W40 it will be closer to a 30 weight on the high end then a 40 weight as a result of shearing. The 10W30 will stay a 10W30 and it also helps stop injector stiction.

Actually, 15w-40 oils are less prone to shearing than 10w-30. In order to get the SAE 10 or SAE 15 base oil stocks to their respective high temperature weights of SAE 30 and SAE 40 respectively, the viscosity must be increased by 3 in the 10w-30 and 2.6 repeating for the 15w-40.

In order to do this, VII additives, which are polymer chains, are added. These polymer chains are what generally shears in oil, and there are more in 10w-30 oils than in 15w-40.

Maybe there's a different reason they've gone to 10w-30, but shearing doesn't support it.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Better cold starts and less injector stiction is the reason they recommend it.

But its also a proven fact 10W30 will shear way less in the powerstrokes than 15W40. Go check out the diesel section on Bob is the oil guy forum if you don't believe me. Lots of good reading there about oil!

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BITOG is run by a bunch of seriously biased guys dying for your attention to their detail.
Yes if you know nothing of lubrication you can learn something there, but if you know
lubrication you soon discover it is all geared toward sales...
To learn what really works it is better you are self taught by learning basics
Time spent at a site that has no Forum is better spent for education like this www.machinerylubrication.com

No silly forum with moderators to stop your learning of the facts. Just plain old truth.

Javier

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was surprised to read in my manual that they recomended 30w for above 32f and 15w-40 for cold weather operation. But now that I have my starting system running right it has started without a hiccup in the single digits with no problems (using 15w-40) I can see why. When it gets down to below -10f on a regular basis I will probably put 5w-40 synthetic in it as that is what I use in all my other diesel vehicles and tractors.

IDIPlowBoy

Reaction score
I have been running 15w40 Mobil Delvac in any diesel I have ever known. My dad did the same and it was how I was raised. I have not had any issues yet with it. I am running my truck mainly in the winter because it is a plow truck and I have not had an issue. It does not get incredibly cold here in Illinois but we have had our fair share of colder days and I have not had any problems running 15w40. Hope this helps you out.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am getting 26mpg in my truck lately,
whatever I am using it must be working.
I change oil based on lab results only.
my last oil change lasted about 25,000 miles
and that is only because I was using waste motor oil
as fuel.
Based on lab results it was time to change it.
I have a problem changing oil without any professional data
to back it up...

Javier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online