Oil Pressure Gauge

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Gents,
I know the stock gauges aren't very good, but what would explain the following? After fully warming the truck up the oil pressure needle just drops as soon as the accelerator is released. Even just barely pushing the accelerator the needle jumps back to normal.
Video here:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 87 has a connection near the passenger fender well and the temp,oil pressure and glow plugs go through it. Mine burned up so I cut it out and used butt connectors with a good crimper.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a very real chance the problem's electrical as opposed to being an oil pressure problem. I would advise temporarily hooking up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to the same location and see if the oil pressure actually behaves like the factory gauge is saying it is.

If it proves to be electrical, make sure the wire is in good shape, and if it is, replace the sending unit. It could also be the gauge itself in the instrument cluster, but may as well go with what's easy first, right? ;Sweet

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Warden, that is a great idea.
Good to see you are still hanging around these parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yea the stock gauges are not much more than an indicator to me. i would also be looking real close at the connections on the engine and most likely just putting in a mechanical one so i can see actual numbers.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My guess is you have a charging issue. The volts are near the red danger area. the voltmeter needs to show about 13 or 14 volts when running. Bet if you figure that out the oil pressure issues will disappear.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is you have a charging issue. The volts are near the red danger area. the voltmeter needs to show about 13 or 14 volts when running. Bet if you figure that out the oil pressure issues will disappear.

So does the voltmeter show the alternators output when running?
The batteries are really old and weak, I had chalked it up to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The voltmeter shows the system voltage when running. This is what the alternator is putting out(which aims to be 13-14v) minus any losses. Also, if your battery is fully dead and being charged*, it might show a tad lower for a bit until the current drops off as the battery becomes charge.

(*typically would only happen if you jump-started the truck with dead batteries, or swapped fully dead ones on while it was running)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726