Oil preference?

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
Uncle

He murdered my aunt whom he was married, my grandmother who raised me, and I ended going to prison. My aunt and grandmother were murdered 9/11/2001. Said uncle is unscathed. I will leave it at that.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I just switched over to the Castrol since I was able to pick it up for $10 a gallon at Oreilly. I have noticed about 4psi better oil pressure over Rotella and I have to add it quite less often when doing extended towing.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
DON'T USE ROTELLA......if ou want your engine to last. my dad used rotella in his tractor and that thing ate oil and we had to do a rebuid on it b/c of the oil.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Let me interject....I will NEVER USE SHELL ROTELLA AGAIN!!!

I bought it on sale...5 gallons for about $55 plus tax. It usually sells for $70 for 5 gallons plus tax. I thought I got a good deal.

Burnt off a little over a quart in less than 1000 miles. I thought ok, so I topped it up. burned it off again. So i let it keep durning off without adding any until I got to a hair below the add mark. Had to put 1.2 a gallon in to bring it back up on the stick. It just keeps disappearing. My truck NEVER burns oil, and I mean NEVER!

If I lose 1/2 a quart of wally workd's Supertech over 3000 miles, then that's all I lose. I lost pretty much a gallon in 1600 miles using Rotella.

I ALWAYS use the Walmart branded Supertech diesel oil, NEVER had a problem.

I seem to be down 5 PSI on my mechanical OP gauge as well, so I won't be using Rotella anymore!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
What is men;t by Rotella burning off to quickly ?

These engines are desinged to comsume oil, as any engine does. the oil lubricates the valve seals and keeps them from burning up.

The Rotella "15 40" oil is MUCH thinner than this and it gets consumed at a MUCH higher rate. I find that it is consumed at about 8 times the amount that my cheap Supertech oil is consumed at.

I lose 1/2 a quart over 5000 milometers with Supetech oil, and at less than 2500 kilometers I lost just a hair over a gallon of Rotella oil.

Same truck, same engine, same filter brand, and same driving conditions...the only thing I changed was oil brands.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In all honesty these engines will run a long time with any properly rated oil changed on time. But In my experiences with them they seem to have less consumption with Chevron Delo, Valvoline premium blue seems to do about as good. I try to stick with those two but If I find anything 10 bucks or under a gallon you better believe I'm gonna use.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to stir the pot, but anyone know anything about the newer Delo line 400LE Synsis?

I'm assuming LE stands for low emissions. The packagine is making the claim of sythetic type properties.... butcha know advertising.... maybe someone spits in it to make it sythetic!

If it's low emissions, does this also mean it has a lower ash content?

I suppose I should do some searching on it, but am taking the easy way out and asking you all first.

THX

BTW- I've been using Rotella in my 6.0 since new, doesn't burn hardly anything. The reason I started using it was its anti-corrosive properties being better than Delo. I read somewhere, there was a manufacturing change and this is when Rotella became "thinner".

Of course in my Detroit, Delo 100 40Wt only- low ash content and gotta be single weight or we blow 'em.

I used to be a big Castrol fan in everything, still use it in my gassers, but, I tend to lean more towards a more diesel specific oil, something Rotella and Delo make their advertising claims towards.

Maybe I should start using Castrol again in my Mercedes and IDI too.

Next question.... what is best or group think on synthetic to use?? What weight/grade?

THX guru's!

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using Rotella. No reason why other than hearing a lot of people recommend it. Before my last oil change, I added about a half a gallon to keep up on the dipsick. This is of course me being ****. I expect the engine to burn some oil but I don't know how much is normal.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That's fine. It's used by more folks than anything else. Just check it and change it as needed.

Heath

Just because they get a bunch of endorsements from a bunch of major fleets doesn't make it good, it just makes it cheaper to purchase by the 55 gal drum and the ones making the decisions are teh beancounters. If the drivers in those fleets had a say in the matter, it would be a different picture.
Just like how International likes to say they have the number1 selling class 8 trucks. as much as I like their engines, their trucks suck in comparison to most other class 8 trucks, but , why do they outsell all the others? because major fleets buy most of the trucks and the IH trucks are cheap. If their drivers had anything to say about it, the number 1 trucks would probably be Autocars or Macks, but they cost a bunchm and fleets are not about to lavish that kind of money on their drivers. They want to purchase trucks that are going to hold up just long enough to last through the depretiation period and then be junked out. You can't always go by what sells the most as an accurate indicator of quality.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It could be worse snap... It could be a diesel thread on military vehicles ;Sweet
Or worse yet, political/religious :rotflmao

Those debates ALWAYS end badly.

FYI : The Army when I was in the service 11 years ago used Mobile synthetic in a can you had to puncture open. Yay for cans. LOL

That jet synthetic is great in high speed turbine engines, but will lead to an early death in a regular piston internal combustion engine. It's way too thin. Its more of a coolant and doesn't have the film strength needed for crank bearings. Early on when I was first selling synthetic oil there used to be a bunch of folks hitting surplus sales and getting that stuff cheap and trying to put it in cars etc and the results were always bad. ( maybe thats why the army always has so many dead hummer engines up for auction :eek:

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Oh gee, another oil thread. This certainly will end well. LOL

I don't know why you guys hate on Rotella so much. I've never had any problems with the stuff. In fact, every diesel engine on our ranch gets the stuff. :dunno

Rotella also seems to be some stout stuff to me and I have a perfect example of why.

Our 1969 John Deere 3020 just completed an engine overhaul. It had been running great until the coolant seal in the #3 cylinder liner gave out. Its rare but it happens with age.

When we tore the engine down, we discovered it had been through a **** poor rebuild before. The previous rebuilder incorrectly installed one of the main bearings which lead to a spun bearing situation. In fact, the engine also had the wrong end caps which allowed the entire crank to move back and forth about a quarter of an inch. :eek:

To top it off, they left out a plug on the front of the block which didn't allow the oil pump to reach full pressure...nor did the frigging thing have the right oil dipstick to even begin with! :mad:

After my friend that was rebuilding the engine for me uncovered all of these cut corners and 'micky mouse' engineering, he could not believe the thing still even ran at all. How it even provided ANY oil pressure to operate is beyond him.

Despite running on low oil, a spun bearing, mediocre oil pressure and the wrong end caps, that engine DID run! It ran damn good all the years we have owned it all while unknowingly running it in such poor condition on good old Rotella.

We used that tractor hard each hay season and then plowed snow with it all winter. That engine never missed a beat nor did it have any signs of the poor shape the internals were in. To me, Rotella kept that engine alive for the almost 800 hours it was in the poor shape it was. That is why I will continue to stand by Shell Rotella oil. (This is also why I'm more strict about getting UOAs done).

Another lesson learned from that experience: Don't buy into a stranger's rebuild. Sometimes an ape would have done a better job.

EDIT: For fun, here is a video of that tractor starting in the cold a couple years ago even in the poor shape that engine was in internally:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V18kcg_-SbA

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Just because they get a bunch of endorsements from a bunch of major fleets doesn't make it good, it just makes it cheaper to purchase by the 55 gal drum and the ones making the decisions are teh beancounters. If the drivers in those fleets had a say in the matter, it would be a different picture.
Just like how International likes to say they have the number1 selling class 8 trucks. as much as I like their engines, their trucks suck in comparison to most other class 8 trucks, but , why do they outsell all the others? because major fleets buy most of the trucks and the IH trucks are cheap. If their drivers had anything to say about it, the number 1 trucks would probably be Autocars or Macks, but they cost a bunchm and fleets are not about to lavish that kind of money on their drivers. They want to purchase trucks that are going to hold up just long enough to last through the depretiation period and then be junked out. You can't always go by what sells the most as an accurate indicator of quality.

Well, Ford has had the best selling trucks for the past 30 years or whatever...should we not buy them in that case? Fleets buy into Ford probably in the same way you described fleets buying into international, right? :D Sorry, I'm being a smartass.

Still, there are far more oils out there priced lower than Rotella if that is what you are after. My boss during the hay season buys Citgo 15-40 because it is the cheapest thing he can get his hands on. He might splurge a little next year and go with wally world supertech though LOL

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was running rotella in the IDI for the last year and noticed that it would burn oil at a decent rate, and just figured it was the motor since it was old and has plenty of miles. Last few oil changes though I switched to Dello and it burns considerably less oil. The powerstroke though has had rotella for nearly 10 years and it doesn't burn nearly any oil. So I run Delo in them both now and will continue to do so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726