Oil pan and rear main

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I think my rear main seal is leaking but it might be my oil pan. Do I really have to pull the motor to change my oil pan gasket? Or can I take some extra time and patience and not pull the motor? Also I have to pull the back plate off the motor. What else will I need to change that seal?
Something about a crank sleeve or something?? I wanna do this once amd do it right.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above posting makes more sence than just the words. Look at it this way... How many bolts hold the engine in the frame.... 6 bellhousing bolts. then there is the 4 speed trans if that what you have. If its an E4od just add 4 bolts to the bellhousing. Then the motor mounts. Just 2 nuts and thats it. Remove the fuel line and unplug the engine main wireing harness plug. Remove the throttle cable. Yes.. There are some other tiny things but once its out you have all the room to work on it. If you have anything other than rtv for the oil pan gasket your in deep trouble. Getting all that cork off and keeping it out of the pan if... You try to do this under the engine when the engine is still in the frame is not a good idea... Some that have done it will say its crazy to do it that way. Once the engine is out the oil cooler and valve covers are simple plus... The front main can be done easy too. The new rear main seal is a two lip seal and it comes with the speedi sleeve. Find the part number in the parts bin forum. There is no way to drop the pan and slide it out because the oil pump pickup is as deep in the back of the pan as the bottom is deep. Its actually only about 1/8th inch off the deepest end of the pan. Don't believe me... Next time you change the oil feel up into the drain hole. That thing your touching in the oil pump suction... Nuff said about that...

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done them without pulling the engine .. it's a PITA.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online