Oil in antifreeze? Headgasket or oil cooler??

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Buddy of mine is looking to buy a 6.0. The one he's looking at has oil in the antifreeze :eek: he's wanting to know if it could be the oil cooler or the headgaskets and if it's worth looking into buying with this problem. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil cooler, and tell your buddy to NOT buy it! Oil in the coolant can turn to pudding as the oil emuslifies in the water. This can restrict coolant flow in a lot of critical areas.

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never owned one I mechanic for a company that owned plenty of them I know enough about them to know I dont want one, Im well educated in a 6.0 thanks

-Jordan-

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To each his own. I know plenty of folks pleased with theirs. Several Techs I know say that it is the best truck they have ever owned (as do I). You do need to take a few precautions, but it can be a great deal since so many people seem to quickly say they are junk.

As in anything - be careful when buying used (applies to any make or model).

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I would have to agree. I bought a good used one. It had been an older couples truck, it had been meticulously maintained its entire life, with the mileage of each recommended service written in the Owners Manual next to the service info,

Mine is an 03, with a Factory, EGR Valve and Cooler, Factory Oil Cooler, Factory Turbo, Factory Head BOLTS and headgaskets. It even has the full factory exhaust, Cat and all.... it has 111,*** miles on it, and I am currently using it as my daily driver, and my DD has charging issues..... I am very strict on maintenance, MotorCraft Oil, Oil Filter, and Fuel Filters. Oil changed a 5000, fuel at 10000 PERIOD!!!!!! I have towed with it... run it up and down through the hills and hollers of Kentucky and have only had to do SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE, and feed it...... only pump diesel.... DO NOT RUN COCKTAILS in a 6.0!!!!!

They are very powerful in stock trim, and still get decent economy..... I have seen 20 on interstate trips..... do not discount the 6.0...... they are a good powerplant. All engines have their issues. I made a list at one point in time of all the Ford Diesels, search for my name and you will find it. I just hate seeing everyone so scared of a 6.0, for the only fact it is a 6.0....... do some homework before you buy.....

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil in the coolant indicates a bad oil cooler. They need to be flushed out really good. He needs to see if the oil cooler was replaced recently. If It needs an oil cooler they are an all day affair to replace, but the updated Ford oil cooler isn't prone to failure like the old ones were. I would buy it if the price was right, but if it has multiple issues they can cost thousands to fix.

tractorman86

Reaction score
Oil in the coolant indicates a bad oil cooler. They need to be flushed out really good. He needs to see if the oil cooler was replaced recently. If It needs an oil cooler they are an all day affair to replace, but the updated Ford oil cooler isn't prone to failure like the old ones were. I would buy it if the price was right, but if it has multiple issues they can cost thousands to fix.

+1 if it's cheap snatch it up, do an oil cooler and an egr cooler or delete depending on your local emissions regs. If it's not cheap run, there are plenty decent trucks out there for good deals.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy has an 06 CCLB 4x4 and it is a great truck. Killer on fuel, not a lick of problems through 60k. I would just be cognisant of the fact that IF there's engine damage from the fluids crossing paths, it aint a quick/easy/fun/inexpensive fix.

If I was going to buy a 6.0, I'd want a well maintained cherry.

Just my .02

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
03 cclb 4x4 6 speed 200k miles $7400, whatcha think? has a slight miss too :(

Wow, with a 6 speed and CCLB, that would be a very very desirable truck on the diesel boards.

That truck as a base model would have a clean retail of 15,200, and a rough trade in of 9,200. I would off about $5,500, maybe 6. If you took it to a shop, a full headgasket job might cost around $4K. You can do it yourself for about $1K in parts. Either way, i think that truck would be worth it. Miss might be injectors going bad, which would need to come out anyway to do the headgasket job. I can get aftermarkets for a decent price, and retail on them from ford is about $2500 depending on your area but i can get them cheaper through Ford.