Oil Hemorrhage

rwelli1001

Reaction score
Oil Hemorrhage
94 7.3 IDI Turbo. 5 speed stick. 217,00 miles. All Factory still.
Oil is leaking from drivers side of the engine just under the heads, from between a tube shaped item and it's mount at the side of the engine just behind the Power steering pump.
1) What is it?
2) What else does it do?
Believe it could it have some thing to do with a new noise that started about the same time as the leak.
Leaking 2 quarts in 40 miles. Yes it is parked until I get it repaired.
Just like some Idea of what I am getting into before I start the repairs.
Do not have shop manuals yet.

Thanks

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil cooler is easy,,,, for someone who has never done a oil cooler be prepared to spend around 4-5 hours, and getting coolant and oil on your face.
There is a tech article in the idi tech section
We can walk you through it also
I have two spare sets of new orings and gaskets if interested

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also have seals and gaskets in stock, the orings I have are IH oem surplus. not the black aftermarket ones. Cheap and fast is rock auto,. .I dont have numbers handy.

rwelli1001

Reaction score
I would like to thank all who replied. And apologize for my slow response. After watching a few video's I got the job done twice. 1st time I left a small partial of gasket on front cooler gasket surface and it started leaking about 3 days later. I did get O rings from my local International dealer but he did not have one of the gaskets. He searched on line and found that NAPA has a set with 3 gaskets. One common I think to the IDI and PS. and the other two, one for the IDI and 3rd For the PS. Only had one tube plugged with gunk and several other pieces of something restricting flow to other tubes, I soaked the 3 pieces of the cooler in a large bucket of Dawn dish soap water over night and what a difference in appearance. Inside of all tubes looked great, even the fins inside the shell were sparkly clean. Found I also had a bad Steering shaft damper and replaced that as well. Replaced my power steering High pressure line due to leaking at the pump. Than changed the fluid in the system as well. Only leak I have now is at the Turbo. I know the starter will appreciate having that fixed. So will the places I park and drip on.

And the noise is also gone now with a new one in it's place. I am noticing the sound from the Turbo more now than in years past. Sounds good.
Again to all thanks

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the third gasket is for the van cooler not powerstroke

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes