Oil filter

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing the oil, I was in a hurry and grabbed an FL1995 filter(which was next to the FL784), mine is supposed to use the FL784. Will the FL1995 work or do I have a trip back into town in my future??

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope that works it's the powerstroke filter most of us use it's bigger and filters a little bit better as well. Just can be a bit harder to spin on since it's larger depending on where stuff is up front on your truck but it will work. 11 quarts of oil not ten now too.

gandalf

Reaction score
I've been using the FL1995 in my '92 for years. It's a close thing getting it on, but I have no problem. There is a cross member, or something, which gets in the way for some people, but most can get it on. I buy them at (shutter shutter) Walmart for $10, Motorcraft brand name.

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great... filled it with oil before I noticed. Mine is a 4 wheel and the driveshaft is close, I'll go crawl back under it and see if it will clear.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I use a FL1995 as well. Cheap filter, easy to get, holds more oil, and filters better. Its a tight fit on mine, but it works.

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was tight, but it's on. Thanks guys... Would think a parts guy would grab the right filter..... All fluids filled, greased and ready to hit the road in the morn for "T" town and the Tulsa State Fair.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. As you've seen, most prefer the stroke filter anyways.
Slightly bigger capacity also. About a quart I think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

gandalf

Reaction score
A finger width of space? That's not tight, not at all. Tight, in this instance, is wondering whether you can get it lined up squarely so you don't crossthread the filter.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Damn. No I'm not THAT tight. I still got some wiggle room. Just never had a filter that close before. I'm new to the idi world and trying to learn as much and get as much done as I can as fast as I can. (Because of circumstances) Just not new to diesels. Haven't had to work on one is years but know a little about them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance