Oil filter question...

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
I bought a new oil filter for my 6.9 but I bought a 7.3 powerstroke filter. I heard you can use one of those on a 6.9 and it'll hold more oil and be cleaner for longer. Anyone else ever hear of this? I'm going to try it but it looks like its gonna be a tight fit!

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Yelp almost everyone does it. All 3 of my trucks have the powerstroke oil filter

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some have clearance problems. Mine is tight on the 7.3, but I have had the truck 3 yrs and only done the stock filter once.

Be sure to fill the filter before install as it takes awhile for it to fill from the oil pan and all that time it will have no lube. (I know, basic instruction. But I have run into a few who don't think about it)

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've actually never installed an IDI oil filter on my truck...between my truck and my old van, I've been running IDI's for almost 12 years now, and I've always used the FL-1995 PSD filter. You may have some issues squeezing the filter around the crossmember, but it shouldn't be insurmountable...between the higher quality filtering and the larger capacity, IMHO it's a no-brainer...go with the PSD filter ;Sweet

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Yep thats the exact code. FL-1995. Sounds good guys thanks. And anyone know where I can get a cheap pyrometer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online