Oil Filter: 51734XE from PSD

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those using the longer oil filter from the PSD (PowerStroke): How much clearance to the front cross-member do you have at the closest place?

Anyone ever get a rub with the longer PSD filter, or have an estimate of how much filter clearance is necessary to account for engine movement?

The 51734 (Wix) or 1995 (Motorcraft) for the PSD is ~2 inches longer then the original 51742 (Wix) filter -- Using a straight edge on the original filter on mine, it looks like it would have about 3/8 inch, maybe a bit less. Just spent the last hour bending the steel fuel line that runs on the cross-member so it would sit further from a PSD filter if I switch to it.

Has anyone used the finer 51734XE Wix filter (1734XE from NAPA or Carquest)? Any comments? The XE version uses synthetic media and is 10 micron, the standard is paper media and is 21 micron. For reference, the 51742 stock replacement is 32 micron. All have a 28-30 GPM rating.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
There is no clearance issues with the powerstoke oil filter. It is the same diameter as the idi filter, it is just longer. The closest thing it could possibly hit would be the front driveshaft, but the filter would have to be 24" long to do that

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Some have had issues with it hitting which could be due to sagging motor mounts and such. They do fit in my Chevy just fine!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only fitment problem you might encounter is if you have sagging motor mounts or a ballooned oil pan.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just for referance purposes the oil pump pushes 18.2 gpm at 3000 rpm...

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried putting a Purolator premium 'PureOne" long/ PSD filter in my 1989 7.3 NA, and it failed to clear- not so much because of the crossmember itself, but a metal tube (fuel line I assume) running across the crossmember. So I went back to the 'regular' size filter.

I hope I don't have sagging motor mounts- my truck has only 20,000 on it and had a pretty mild life before I got it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... Most run the motorcraft 1995 filter. It has a fine micron filtration because of the psd injection system requirements.

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. The Wix 51734XE (10 micron) filter is installed.;Sweet Wish I'd done this a long time ago. Picture is below.

Similar to pybyr, I had fuel line interference. To bend the tubing, I used a brake-spoon wedged under the tubing, a c-clamp above the spoon, then press the lower part towards the cross-member. Rubber gasket material was used to protect the tubing. After a little tweaking it's lays nicely out of the way.

The XE filter is flatter (and longer) on the bottom compared to the regular 51734, and the clearance was a little tight for my preference -- about 3/8 inch. It probably would have been fine, but decided to grind the cross-member slightly to get about 1/2 inch of clearance. You can see that just below dead center of the attached picture. The brake line, and the re-positioned fuel line, are visible just above the relieved area.

At 10 micron, this filter is 3 times finer then the stock IDI filter, and 2 times finer then the standard PSD filter. Anyone have any experience with it?

Attachments

• 51734XE.jpg
    51734XE.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
For just a few dollars you can replace the motor mounts and have all the clearance you need plus... You will have new mounts and less vibration getting into the frame.... Makes the truck seem like its running smoother too...

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mounts are good, I believe it's just the tolerances involved in the assembly. If you get a chance, would you slide something in between the filter and cross-member and see what the gap is on yours?

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try the HP6001 K&N filter. It will fit and is even longer than the 1995. I run one on all my trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online