Oil cooler :@....help please need truck running asap

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have all the coolant drained, and now im just having trouble with the cooler, I am attempting to do it by moving the steering shaft but I can't figure out how to disconnect it by the firewall I cant see any visible bolts and at the bottom at the ps pump I cant tell which bolt to undo

The alternative is the motor mount way but I can't tell where those bolts are either! :(

Any help/pics are greatly appreciated

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a third way I have read on here. One member said it could be rebuilt without removing it. Sorry I haven't actually had to do this yet so I can't help directly.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Drop the steering shaft at the gear box. It's a 10mm head bolt, pull it out of the way, unbolt the drivers side motor mount bolts and lift the engine up on the drivers side. The cooler will come out all in one piece with the oil filter removed.
Be prepared for a little fluid swap.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you post a pic of the mount? I think if I just clean the shsft I'll see the bolt is it on the u joint looking thing

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the nuts that bolt motor mount to frame removed the air cleaner and jacked the motor up. Thats all I did with my 6.9 with c6, worked like a charm.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm nit to sure where the location of those bolts are but I guess I'll dive deep in it tmo and hope I'm unbolting the right thing

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
google it, if your looking for a picture of a motor mount, you can also search youtube and there are guys who show you how to change oil cooler.

Last edited:

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i gott two motor mount bolts off i think....there the two vertical ones 19 mm nut. I am having a very hard time getting the oil filter off (using a belt b/c i do not have a large enough filter wrench). I checked on google and the only other way of taking her off is destroying it with a screwdriver and I want to keep it for obv reasons.
So can I take the oil cooler and whatnot off with the filter attached?? I am waking up at 5am tomorrow b/c I need the truck on tuesday so any input asap would be much appreciated :)

From what I can tell it makes most sense to take the cooler out backwards (towards tranny)

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got the cooler out tonight, front bolts were 9/16" and rear were 1/2"
judging by how hard it was to get out I assume its going to be a absolut b*tch to get back in. atleast I'm progressing though going to open the cooler up tmo clean it then lube and orings and then press on and put it all back. hopefully itl be bavk up and running tmo. Im gonna do the cascade flush that Al recommended

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do not use silicone on the mounting gaskets. high tack to the headers and it they have the printed line on them, that side goes on dry. if the line is the other way ,switch it around.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be very careful not to pinch or cut the new orings when putting the cooler back together. Otherwise, you'll be pulling it off again.

Heath

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, yes I have heath I printed it off to but it seems to have run away lol.....thr front and rear header gaskets are being very stubborn I don't suppose I could sand them off?