Oil consumption, turbo and CDR options

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Since the turbo install, I now am dealing with an oil consumtion issue.
The turbo runs great with 90k on the clock but now have noticed 2 issues.
Oil consumption at the rate of 2 qts@ 1500 miles and an excessive amount of blowby.
I currently have the CDR in use on the big ole banks box and am contemplating the RDT at this point to see if this reduces both issues.

The question I was posted today by my local oil burnin buddy was: What will a recovery system do to turbo lag on a non wastgated unit?
I am thinking of going with a crank case gas recovery setup on the exhaust system to eliminate the crank case gasses dumping out below the cab.

I know there was discussion about this earlier.

Any thoughts or experiences on this?

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I don't know if it's a direct comparison, but my RDT smokes a little and drips zero oil. I bought the oil fill extension/CDR relocator from Banks that mounts on the IP gear cover. I then used 1" coolant hose and made a loop from left to right over the fuel filter down to the frame where it dumps out.

I think the gas has enough time to cool, so the oil will run back down into the engine. I get a little watery dripping, but no oil.

My engine also only has 2700 miles on it too.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you can buy a real CCV from racor, and that's probably a good option, you can stick with the CDR and keep it as clean as you can, and live with the oil consumption, or you can do a RDT if it doesn't bother you or the local environmental regulators to be dumping the fumes right into the atmosphere. Trying to make a homebrew recovery system has been tried by Zigg and Highest Vision and didn't work out too well for them. Personally, I think a quart/750 miles isn't that bad on an old diesel anyway, and would just live with it, or maybe try the CCV, but its somewhat expensive, around $225 where I've seen them. The problem is that no matter what you do with that blowby, you're still going to be burning some oil, becuase it is a symptom of two things1) inherent blowby froma high compression engine and/or 2) excessive wear at the rings or valves. The only exception is if you're CDR is truly faulty then it will cause the engine to ingest its own oil. Others may know better but a plugged CDR will have that little pinhole at the back clogged up. You can also figure that the CDR itself will be filled with oil and oil residue. I'd say in that case replace it and see what happens. I'm almost leading to CDR problems with an engine with that low of mileage if you are sure that it really is 90K and not 190K or 290K or more. On an encouraging note, my truck uses that much oil and more and I have heard of others trucks still being reliable and using 2-3 times as much oil as that. So it may not beperfect, but even if it is from rings its not time to put her down, but if its valves be careful for that ticking of woof woof noise, cause a lot of 7.3s have died from that. Personally I'll take the higher oil consumption over the valve problems anyday.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Diesel JD said:
I think a quart/750 miles isn't that bad on an old diesel anyway, and would just live with it, or maybe try the CCV, but its somewhat expensive, around $225 where I've seen them.

Well, the turbo has around 90k on the clock, but the motor has only 50 k on it and was an IH crate motor that the PO bought.
The motor didn't burn any oil before the turbo install and I have been watching the blowby progressivly get worse over the last couple of weeks.
I am now getting oil residue around the lines and components were the dipstick is on top of the motor.
I agree that the CDR may be becoming a fault but was also new on the motor transplant.
I don't have too big of a problem with the RDT but I serve on a local fire dept and sometimes on accident scenes I need to keep the truck running for extended periods and I don't want people coming up and telling me the truck is on fire.
The other thing that concerns me is the fact that I just finished a complete truck makeover(full frame off restoration) and am not too wild about blowing oil down under the truck with a fresh paint job, granted the majority of the blowby is at an idle.
Too many hours on the resto and want it to last for awhile. :hail

flatlander said:
I don't know if it's a direct comparison, but my RDT smokes a little and drips zero oil. I bought the oil fill extension/CDR relocator from Banks that mounts on the IP gear cover. I then used 1" coolant hose and made a loop from left to right over the fuel filter down to the frame where it dumps out.

I think the gas has enough time to cool, so the oil will run back down into the engine. I get a little watery dripping, but no oil.

Barney,
do ya have a pic by chance as I really didn't get much of a chance to check out the goodies under the hood last month. :confused:

I have 1" hose on there now with the Banks adapter and have the hose to an uphill location to the CDR to hopefully allow the oil to return to the crank case but apparently not much is making it back. :confused:
The other thing that I have in mind is that amount of oil going into the exhaust system is gonna fill up my muffler over time........I know I know...... Dump the muffler. :D

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you know...regular coolant/heater hose won't last long with oil and oil vapor running thru it. It turns to mush in a hurry! Go to your local hydraulic hose shop and get a section of hose rated for oil, and it'll keep things much cleaner.

My CDR has a film of oil on it, and it turns ou that the crappy heater hose I used is seeping/leaking. I clean it periodically, but plan to replace the heater hose with some proper hose when I fab up my cold air intake...

Ryan

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your homemade oil recovery system and or the turbo install is where you need to be looking for the problem! It sure shouldn't be anything that the turbo has done to your moptor unless you've been really boosting it way on up there or just letting the egts get way on up there. It would be unusual for a motor to wear that much over a short period of time unless it was severely traumatized. So you have to look at what you cahnged from stock,and look first at the CDR and other modifications to teh emissions control an crankcase vent systems. Good luck,
J.D.

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I got tired of my CDR making a mess in my intercooler so I modified the front cover and routed 1 inch hose down the driver frame and then right behind the transfer-case crossed over and dumped it into the exhaust that way all the smoke goes out with the rest of the exhaust and people just think the truck smokes rather than on fire.

You must be registered for see images attach

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like it would actually work pretty well, and unless you ahve a real basketcase, its probably no worse than the stuff that a gasser emits when she's cold in the morning. Most folks who've tried to route the RDT through the exhaust have had problems but I think you'd get away with that with no problems.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I'm running a RDT right now. I use the banks adaptor, hose and then 1-1/4" braided hose down to the frame to 1-1/4" cpvc eletrical conduit, back to the rear axle, with a slight turn down.
I don't mind the small amount of smoke. It only seems to be a problem at stop lights, after idling for 20 secs or so. I do mind the oil that drips out after a high speed freeway run of 100 miles or more. I parked up hill, in my sis's concrete driveway. It left an 8" round drip of oil. Not good in a $500K community. I ended up buying some floor dry and parking on the street the next night.
I'm contemplating changing to a looped system with a "T" type collection system with the CC gases returning to the CDR. I think Zig has a setup like this. My idea is to route from the Banks adaptor to a copper baseboard heat exchanger in front of the radiator, bumper area. Then to a "T" One end of the "T" down to a resevoir, the other back to the CDR. My theory bding that the CC gasses will cool enough to allow the oil vapor to condense back to oil and drop into the resevoir, with the rest of the CC gasses going into the intake. Wacha think??? :confused:

Last edited:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
f-two-fiddy said:
I'm running a RDT right now. I use the banks adaptor, hose and then 1-1/4" braided hose down to the frame to 1-1/4" cpvc eletrical conduit, back to the rear axle, with a slight turn down.
I don't mind the small amount of smoke. It only seems to be a problem at stop lights, after idling for 20 secs or so. I do mind the oil that drips out after a high speed freeway run of 100 miles or more. I parked up hill, in my sis's concrete driveway. It left an 8" round drip of oil. Not good in a $500K community. I ended up buying some floor dry and parking on the street the next night.
I'm contemplating changing to a looped system with a "T" type collection system with the CC gases returning to the CDR. I think Zig has a setup like this. My idea is to route from the Banks adaptor to a copper baseboard heat exchanger in front of the radiator, bumper area. Then to a "T" One end of the "T" down to a resevoir, the other back to the CDR. My theory bding that the CC gasses will cool enough to allow the oil vapor to condense back to oil and drop into the resevoir, with the rest of the CC gasses going into the intake. Wacha think??? :confused:

I think it will beat dripping oil in Your sister's $500k driveway. :D and I may try it myself since I have the same problem with my rdt.

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What problems have others had running the RDT into the exhaust like mine? I did this because. My dad is a driveway **** and hates oil stains. With my setup it seems like the little oil do get out of it burns up in the exhaust because I have not seen a drop from the exhaust. I have been running this setup for almost 700 miles with no ill effects that I can see.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
f-two-fiddy said:
This thought may be similar to your idea, but several years ago I saw a set-up on an 8V-71 Detroit in a semi. Detroits back then were notrious for dripping, drowling, burning & slobbering oil.
This was 25-30 years ago, but as I recall, He had taken a small gutted, or near gutted Volkswagon muffler, or some kind of small car muffler, mounted it under the cab at about 45deg angle, routed his CCV hose to the hi side (inlet) of the muffler, had the lower end outlet on the muffler routed back to the engine to dump the condensed & settled oil back into the engine. Then he had added, higher up toward the top, close to the inlet, an outlet (brazed or welded) a fitting or something to attach a hose to. (I do remember this one was welded to the top, uprite side of the muffler) This hose then just hung down dumping the fumes out.
This setup was mainly to cut his oil consumption, which it did big time!

Unless a check valve was added, Everytime I have thought on this project, I still think about C/case pressure still pushing gases to the hi-side inlet of the muffler as well as to the lower side outlet where the oil would drain back to the engine.
Actually, with this set-up I guess the oil volume would finally overcome the pressure of the C/case, & still drain back.
Kinda like a settling bowl effect.
But with even a varation of something like this, lot smaller, we might still rig up something on these IDI's. The outlet vent hose would be the same as some RDT system.
James

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done about 3 oil recover systems so far, and although most of them have "recovered" a lot of oil, some more than others, every one of them so far has increased crankcase pressure, and the end result is oil leaks at all the seals, valley, dipstick etc, which lose more oil than recovered. The engine isn't burning it(dry intake manifold) but, still go through more oil.
So, as in the past, I've gone back to my old CDR setup, and I'm just going to live with the oil consumption.(1 quart in 500miles). Oil is relatively cheap.

Zigg :)

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I just have a hose going from the dirverside valve cover to a powerservice jug that is located where the old windshield washer tank was located.

My truck leaks three drops... one is oil one in brake fluid (iknow) and one is ATF.

I recover dang near 100% of the oil that comes out as blowby.

Drew