Oil consumption issue

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to change my oil pressure sensor and CDR valve. I have an 85 6.9 with a banks gated turbo on it. My oil pressure says below normal almost all the time, it does go to the "N" sometimes tho. It used to work or read in the normal a couple months ago. It also uses a bit of oil. Maybe a quart every fill up. (2 tanks). Was thinking my CDR could be using oil? The truck runs pretty good and doesn't blow much smoke. Doesn't leak either. I just wanted to know maybe a part number for oil sensor and CDR valve. Or if I can just go to parts store and tell them what I need. Also wanted to know location of each on motor please. Thanks in advance.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
CDR Valve:

E3TZ-6A665-A "Adapter assembly for Crankcase Ventilation" Also known as the CDR (Crankcase Depression Regulator) Valve ALL YEARS

The oil pressure sender, a parts store should be able to get you. Just make sure you give them the correct year... the Early IDI's used a pressure sender, that made the needle move with varying pressure, the later IDI's use a pressure switch that moves the needle to the middle of the gauge..... I know the Bullnose have the sender, some Bricks have the sender, some the switch, and the OBS has the switch

The oil pressure sender is on the back of the engine, basically below your turbo..... the CDR will have been moved by the banks kit, not sure of its location.... just look for the "tuna can" attached to the air intake somewhere.....

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to change my oil pressure sensor and CDR valve. I have an 85 6.9 with a banks gated turbo on it. My oil pressure says below normal almost all the time, it does go to the "N" sometimes tho. It used to work or read in the normal a couple months ago. It also uses a bit of oil. Maybe a quart every fill up. (2 tanks). Was thinking my CDR could be using oil? The truck runs pretty good and doesn't blow much smoke. Doesn't leak either. I just wanted to know maybe a part number for oil sensor and CDR valve. Or if I can just go to parts store and tell them what I need. Also wanted to know location of each on motor please. Thanks in advance.

Did your oil consumption go up at the same time as your pressure drop?

If so I would get a real oil pressure gauge on it right away.

My concern would be that a leaking mechanical fuel pump is leaking diesel into the crankcase, or a leaking injector(s) is washing down the cylinder(s), thinning the oil , therefore lowering the oil pressure. This would also make it easier for oil to get past your rings & valve stem seals-causing increased oil consumption,

I'd pull an oil sample and smell it for excessive diesel, and compare the viscosity against fresh oil.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin