Oil change?

lwillson

Reaction score
I think it circulates enough to not warrant sucking it out every time, but if you do the math, if its 3 litres out of 17 that isn't changed during an oil change, that's 17% of the engine oil that is not changed during a regular oil change.

The part I dont get is at what stage during an oil change would you do this part of the service? if the sump oil is circulating like it should, and you suck out and refill the reservoir with new oil, start the engine, wont you be moving dirty sump oil through the reservoir?

If you change the sump oil first, then suck out and replace the oil in the reservoir, and start the engine, you will now have the dirty oil in the head back in the new sump oil.

I cant see myself doing this process every oil change, but if I had a vacuum pump, I might be tempted to do it every 3 or 4 oil changes. I notice on my engine that towards the time for an oil change, my fuel economy goes down.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I was thinking those same things... I guess you drain oil, suck out and I think you can suck out the heads too? then refill and enjoy!

lwillson

Reaction score
Thats what I figured, but then I dont understand how guys can use a bypass filter and go 10,000 miles without an oil change. Youre not improving your viscosity by filtering it, youre just cleaning it.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Bypass fiters work, the numbers prove it if the oil is lab tested....It's the same as being constipated or having the runs - which one flows better and faster?.:D:rotflmao

lwillson

Reaction score
Sorry, I thought I ended my sentence with a question mark, instead of a period. Your analogy makes sense though.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bypass fiters work, the numbers prove it if the oil is lab tested....It's the same as being constipated or having the runs - which one flows better and faster?.:D:rotflmao

He's right.

Oil doesn't wear out, it gets contaminated by soot, acid, fuel, metal wear particls and combustion gasses. Any reduction of these will prolong the life of the oil....... and the engine.

If you could completely eliminate the contamination you'ld never have to change the oil.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Tonka, the only thing I would add is that there are certain additives in the oil that burn off during combustion and that is the reason the oil needs to be changed beside contamination...In theory ofcourse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubburnjd1

Members online