Oil Burners turbo kit

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
I am seeing that it can be hard for some members to source a factory turbo kit for their rig. Or that a kit may be to costly. would there be any interest in a low kit utilizing an HX35/HX40?

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
final boost numbers would depend on how much fuel you are pushing and how much your heads can handle.

im not talking about me personally selling kits but, having a straight forward design with readioly available low cost parts so that someone could get to boostin on the cheap.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
ya if i could find a cheap turbo and intake hoses/boots i would fab one up in a minute! i got a buddy that does exhaust so thats not a problem.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
i think i have 300 bucks into each of my hx35's, junkyard turbos are cheap and there are a ton of holset turbos out there.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
i think i have 300 bucks into each of my hx35's, junkyard turbos are cheap and there are a ton of holset turbos out there.

are they small enough to mount under the hood or would they need to be remote mounted?

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
they are pretty much the same physical size as a banks mitsu turbo, same downpipe mount and same exhaust flange

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I don't know that too many people have chose that particular turbo for an IDI :dunno

I ran HX35's on both my 01 and 92 Dodges and both could easily push over 30psi with the smaller 12cm exhaust housing :love:... Very quick to spool without having excessive egt's. I like how much aftermarket support there is for the HX series. I ran several different sized exhaust housings (9cm - 21cm) wastegated and non gated and eventually settled on the 12cm for both of my 5.9 powered trucks.

Again I'm not an expert, but I'm thinking that with 7.3 liters of IDI furry a larger exhaust housing (~18-21cm) would be needed to reduce drive pressures. I have not attempted the math on one, but I think a HX 35 would be a lot of fun on an IDI and work well if you had the fuel and were not worried about lifting heads... They seem to be popular on the 6.2/6.5 builds.

Did you have a design in mind? I think the pedestal would be the most difficult part :dunno EDIT: Also you would want to drill the housing to allow both sides of the manifold/up pipe flange to vent. The HX series only vents on one side

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
As far as a pedestal, T4 flanges are pretty easy to get. Again with any IDI kit there is gonna be somne tunnel and firewall massaging unless you want to run a squished down pipe but.....

The way I am looking at this is that a T between headers, uppipe on the drivers side of the tranny and down pipe on the passengers side is pretty manageable.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
The way I am looking at this is that a T between headers, uppipe on the drivers side of the tranny and down pipe on the passengers side is pretty manageable.

Brilliant ;Sweet You have my attention. That said you might be able to get away with a 4" downpipe.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
As far as a pedestal, T4 flanges are pretty easy to get. Again with any IDI kit there is gonna be somne tunnel and firewall massaging unless you want to run a squished down pipe but.....

and for those that arent trying to boost up into the 20's, flexible exhaust pipe would make for a really easy install. I did a twin turbo sbc when i was a youngin and having very little funds i went with flexible exhaust tubing for the up and downpipe. i never had an issue with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online