Oh Yet another E4OD thread! Strange very intermittant shifting problem

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm assuming the fipl/ tps can only be bought through Ford.Napa didn't carry it all.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no,parts stores sell them but you've got to remember our trucks are all old now with the last idi truck being 19 years old currently,so stores having parts like this in stock may not always happen.
i doubt any of them would have the part in their computers called FIPL.so be sure to always ask them for a TPS.(be sure to actually ask for.not abbreviated: throttle positioning sensor and for those with '94's be sure to ask them for a '93 to avoid taking home psd parts.)

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O'Reilly's had the "BWD" brand TPS in stock. Advance also had the "Standard" brand TPS in stock. I ordered a Motorcraft one $48.72 on the internet. I usually seem to have better luck with OEM parts when it comes to electrical parts and sensors. The Ford Part Number for the TPS is F2TZ-9B989-C and Ford actually calls it a "potentiometer". The OEM part was actually a little cheaper than the parts store ones in this case.

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hi-jack ur thread thrummed..
So I went back to Napa and they had the part in stock but looked like something else.Honestly I don't even know what the heck I'm looking for.Ive read that it is on the driver side of the injection pump but all I c there is some other sensor with 2 vacuum lines going to it.Im lost here and don't even now where the tps is or what it looks like:(

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like you've got the old 3 speed c6 trans then and not an E40D,Defrocked.there's a big difference.with your trans,you place it in D and go,and only feel her shift 2 times.from 1-2 and again into 3rd and all done.

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ so what do suggest I do then bro.I guess that makes sense but what does that mean for me.
Does the C6 still have the tps somewhere??So with the hard shifting problems,only when I baby it.If I floor it it shifts really smooth.If u guys would,any help or opinions please post in my US gear OD help thread.

Sorry again to jack ur thread bro.