OH YEAH......one step closer to being a big rig!

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Well I got the compressor, tank, and lanyard valve in the truck this weekend, the horns were already there but i was using the little air pumps to run them before. The horns are Grovers that came off of a semi truck and with the new air system man do they sound good! Nothing beats pulling a chain to blow the horn! I will get some pictures as soon as i finish my next project. Speaking of which the next project is to hook up an air valve and quick release valve so that I get the "pchsssssssssssh" sound by pulling the valve in the truck. I got it from a local big rig brake supply place, so these are true big rig brake system valves, man it is really gonna turn heads when i pull up to park and hit the valve! :D Like I said i will get pictures as soon as i get those valves mounted.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
;Sweet yes post some pics, and parts # if possible. Some day I'll get one of those :Sly .

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
I once had air horns on another truck. A old lady was backing out of a parking space without even looking back and I laid on the air horns JUST BEFORE she was about to hit me. SCARED THE CRAP OUTTA HER. She blocked me in and called the cops. When cops arrived they wanted to hear the horns. They said not to do that again and pretended to arrest me for the "little old ladies" benefit. After she left the cop said that he'd probably have done the same thing and let me loose. Also, I have AirLift air bags on my truck that have automatic leveling and when it releases air it gives off that loud hiss. I was crossing the US/Mexico border on the trip here and as the Border Guard was walking back to check inside my camper the pressure released and you should've seen that guy JUMP:rotflmao . OkieGringo

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should have called a towing company to have her removed. She didn't have the right to delay you like that. :rolleyes:

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I love air horns :D whenever I used to drive my dads Suburb@n I used them every chance I got ;) and scared a brown stain into a good number of drivers seats!

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Yeah you are right the horns are great and I itch for good opportunities to use them (passing someone you know, etc.).
However, it will be even better once i get the quick release valve working good.
I hooked the valves up last night but i only have one quarter inch line running to the quick release, this doesnt provide enough flow to evacuate the tank quick enough to make the "real truck parking" sound. I am going to mount another small tank on the frame with at least 1/2 inch and possible 3/4 line running to the quick release valve.......once i get that accomplished she should sound just like the big rigs! :D
I have been reluctant to post pics until i get everything (the second tank and line) run then i will definitely post the pics!

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Have you considered using a solenoid actuated dump valve connected to your parking brake :Sly

Wiring should be painless......find the wire that feeds the dash light :D to power the dump valve!

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
hehehe I was thinking somethin along those lines too. usin some kinda air valve to set the parking brake so it was acctually kind of a dual purpose deal. :thumbsup:

:draw

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
geonc said:
Have you considered using a solenoid actuated dump valve connected to your parking brake :Sly

Wiring should be painless......find the wire that feeds the dash light :D to power the dump valve!

Geo and CC Yes I have thought about how easy it seems to be to hook up a semi emergency brake actuator right to the e brake cable so that the air pulls the cable, this would eliminate the need for the parking brake pedal which would be replaced with a PP8 valve.................however, the parking brakes they put on these pickup trucks are absolute junk (dont try to convince me otherwise) and I havent used mine in over a year! I just leave the truck in gear to keep it from rolling and then i use a wheel chock for reasurance.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
if you have emercency brake trouble, your rear brakes may be out of adjustment. Mine work fine...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
if you have emercency brake trouble, your rear brakes may be out of adjustment. Mine work fine...
What he said. Mine work beautifully. The only problem I have with mine is that I need to catch the pedal with my foot when I release the E-brake, to keep it from violently hitting the stop and rattling everything in my dash. My fusebox is already damaged from to many years of people just letting it pop up.

Or, was something changed for the '92-'97 trucks?

{on edit} Hey, this is my 1,337th post...I'm leet now LOL

82fordtruck

Reaction score
warden,

mine doesn't have that problem either. Mine hits and bounces back, sometimes leaving the light on on the dash. That's the biggest trouble I have.

ramon f350

Reaction score
no problems here out of mine but I always use it and never leave it in gear otherwise my back brakes get all out of wack

Ramon

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
mine doesn't have that problem either. Mine hits and bounces back, sometimes leaving the light on on the dash. That's the biggest trouble I have.
I assume you're talking about your '94. They changed the mechanism for the 1992 model year...'80-'91 have the violent release that I was mentioning. I've driven and ridden in a couple of '92-'97 trucks, and was amazed at how softly the pedal came up...

Ramon, I generally leave my truck in 1st (when the engine's not running LOL) as well as setting the E-brake...while the truck is resting on the E-brake and not on the tranny, this gives a margin of error in case my E-brake decides to suddenly fail. Same reason I always leave an automatic in Park...although, like with my 5 speed, I make sure that the vehicle is resting on the brakes and not on the tiny parking pawl in the tranny. :thumbsup:

I have to say that I like the idea of an air parking brake :D but I have to ask this...can you control how hard the brake's applied like you can with a mechanical setup? It'd be nice to be able to use the E-brake to slow the truck down if the service brakes fail, without locking them up immediately...

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I think he is talking about having a switch on the pedal, not changing the mechanical linkage.