Oh my...considering possibly parting with my truck.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...I didn't think it would happen but the day has come that I've been pondering possibly selling my truck.

I just got a job that will require roughly a 40-45 mile commute, each way. I have my Mustang to drive while the weather is still nice but when the winter months come...well, the truck will kill me on fuel, and I don't even like taking it on long drives anyway.

Plus, I've taken a long hard look at it, and I just don't need a truck like this for anything right now. I don't haul much and I don't tow. The only thing about it I need is the 4WD.

And to top it all off I mentioned it to my girlfriend, and now she's all excited about the possibility of getting back into an explorer (she had one years ago and really misses it). And, it would be nice to have something we could both drive- she can't drive a stick. I'll definitely need SOMETHING come winter.

Sigh...the other question is can I get enough out of it to make it worth my time?

I'm just rambling...if I do sell I sure hope the truck will go to one of you guys here so it will get a loving home where it's appreciated.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Without pics, it is hard to was what it is worth.

At least you are honest with your self about not needing a 3/4-1 ton truck to drive around in. Personally, I would look into a ranger. They are good on fuel but will still have a truck if the need arises. I love my ranger as my daily driver

randomq

Reaction score
I drive my IDI 50 miles a day. Couldn't be happier. I get around 20 MPG. Maybe you should look into improving the fuel mileage and reliability of your truck, and teach the woman to drive stick, it's not like it's hard to do with an IDI.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Without pics, it is hard to was what it is worth.

At least you are honest with your self about not needing a 3/4-1 ton truck to drive around in. Personally, I would look into a ranger. They are good on fuel but will still have a truck if the need arises. I love my ranger as my daily driver

^^^Agreed^^^

My main vehicle now is my TDI Jetta. In town driving, the last tank lasted us 3 weeks (14 gallons ;Sweet). My truck is only driven if the Jetta has already been taken (and the truck defaults to me LOL).

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive my truck everyday too as well. Wouldnt have anything else. I do have my old 535is in the backyard though for when the urge to drive a nimble fast as crap car arises. I'll drive it for a few days and then get back in my truck, start it up, slide it into gear and realize that this is where I belong.............
Plus, trust ME! You talk yourself out of "needing" it now, but once its gone you will be "needing" it more than you know.
As my dad says: "Not every man owns/needs to own a 1-ton, 4wd, diesel truck- but those who do generally get the job done quicker than those who don't."
Any truck can "haul" things, but there are always, almost daily, instances where if my truck was a tacoma or ranger, or even a half ton fullsize pickup, I couldnt have moved, hauled, or towed what I needed to.

Keep the truck. It will thank you.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
you could start using waste oil to offset your fuel cost's heck with being unemployed thats the main thing that has saved my family from having to miss something for lack of gas money we drive the dually over our s10 blazer because of waste oil

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really have access to waste oil...nor do I honestly think I want to mess with it. I'm in a rented place and I don't want waste oil all over.

And, even if the truck did get better mileage I still don't think I'd like driving it on the highway. Due to the 4.10's in it I basically have to keep it at 65 to avoid really crappy mileage, and the cruise doesn't work right due to the speedo needle bouncing around all the time.

Plus...the only significant thing I feel like I used my truck for anytime recently was moving some of the stuff from my place to a storage unit (I moved in with my girlfriend, had to store some things for a short time). And now that we're living together...next time we move we're just gonna get a moving truck. Using my truck just requires a whole bunch of trips.

Believe me I've tried to justify keeping it, but I feel like I can't come up with any good reasons beyond the truck's simplicity, the fact that I know its service record, and the 4WD.

As for what I was wanting to ask for it...I guess I'm not really sure. I couldn't really even find any for sale to base the price off of. This is the most recent pic of it, from about 2 months ago. Has 115K on it. Looks a little better in pictures than it does in person.
You must be registered for see images attach

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i just bought a jeep to daily drive so i am not putting alot of miles on the dually. 93 wrangler 4.0 automatic for 1700 bucks. has 220000 miles but runs great. and yes, i DD a jeep and wheel a f350.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my .02...........
imho a reg cab truck is great for a single guy. once he starts a family, it now is an endangered species. if your truck was a ext cab 4x4 and you know you'll be settling down for real, I'd say keep the truck and teach the other half how to drive stick. I have proven to the ardent naysayers that a diesel stick requires almost no coordination to do the throttle and clutch.....except in San Francisco, CA. with the ext cab the truck can haul the family in a pinch and the loose stuff you don't want to keep in the bed on shopping runs can go behind the driver's seat. this is not an option with a reg cab truck. A crewcab is really nice for hauling family and friends to activities comfortably....boating camping, dinners...etc. but it is a bear to park especially when it is a dually in a urban area. My suggestion is trade plus cash for a ext cab 4x4 if you want to retain the practicality of a full size 4x4 diesel.
Exploders are not a good option especially the 4.0 v-6 family. ford has yet to build one that doesn't eat head gaskets at the 100k mark. even the new SOHC 4.0 v-6's haven't been cured of that habit. Plus the new ones require more book time to do the gaskets.cookoo I love the older Exploders because they are a good income source for headgaskets and transmissions:D most of those owners are ******* deep in payments or money poured into one and have no choice other than pouring more money into it.;Sweet
Jeeps are OK but you won't get a sig other to do a winter commuting in one. another thing is the mileage on a jeep sucks. I don't know why but I suspect the height of the vehicle has alot to do with it.
hope this helps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online