off timing

REBELHIGHBOY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck I purchased has a remanufactured motor. I get nothing but awful mileage between the 8 to 11 range. I was talking to a local dealer guy any said I could be out of time. The reason for the guy saying it is my truck will not smoke no matter what you do towing a trailer or just booted around corners. The Mechanic I Talk to told me I could be out of time by a tooth from when I reinstalled injection pump. I was wondering how I could check this

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, here's the good news - you didn't mess up your pump gear by shifting it 'off a tooth'. Now, you still need to time the pump. Same idea as setting the ignition timing when you replace a distributor. Talk to the others here on the list to see who in your area can set it dynamically (engine running) and do a good job. You'll be amazed at the difference!

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, you kinda lost me. How did the pump timing get off to begin with? I thought you had R&R'd the IP.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A re-maned engine usually does not come with the IP installed. The only way to tell if the IP is out of time is to have it timed. It don't necessarily mean that the gear's are out of time, only the person that installed it would know if he installed it by taking the tower off, then it could have skipped a tooth or more. But if your getting that kind of milage with an F350 and C6 tranny it's highly unlikely a tooth is off. Just re-read your post. Did you take the tower off to install it?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As these engines get miles on them the injection pump and injectors change timing as they wear out. The injector spring pressure decays so the timing advances. The pump waers out so the timing retards. Figure about 125,000 miles and you need a pump and injectors. Don't just install a rebuilt pump or a new set of injector and think its going to work best. They really need to be done together for best results. Nver ever remove the pump with the grear cover. The injection pump gear will still be connected and then you will loose the gear tooth timing because you can't see the gears meshing. At best you might get it correct but thats a bad way of installing a pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online