Odd noise at front of engine...

scooter01922

Reaction score
Hi all, i'm back after a bit of an absence ( everthing has been working ). Truck just started to make a rather disturbing noise. If your wondering what truck i'm talking about just look down a few posts and you should see one on excessive smoke posted by me, i gave all the details there. Anyway if you stand in front of the truck with it running you can hear this rather loud "errr" sound. Lasts for about a second then goes away then comes back. Its very sharp in nature, sorta like that awful noise you get if you can't find the gear on a standard but not as "grindy". Or kinda like the fan is hitting something momentarily every now and then. Whatever it is sure sounds bad. Looked around and fan is all clear. Any guesses?????
Thank you
Scott

scooter01922

Reaction score
Damn, thats kinda what i was hopeing it wasn't. Think it dropped and chewed something up causing the noise, or just coming into contact with something on its way out??? Looking at the pics i can't quite see how the pin can grind on much if its still in there. Not that i don't beleive that it could be THE PIN but the power steering has been using a bit of fluid lately???Maybe???

Last edited:

Whit

Reaction score
scooter........the pin dont cause problems until or IF it comes out

If it has come out that would most likely be yer noise and you will be lucky ifin ya dont brake nuttin

power steering pump can be noisy whine if its cold where you are but the whine would be steady with rpm's

scooter01922

Reaction score
I believa ya, i just really don't wan't to be out there in the cold working on the truck. Why can't these things happen in july.Yea i know all about the whine of the power steering. Thank you for the quick responses, i'll be off to fetch some parts tomorrow.
Scooter

scooter01922

Reaction score
been busy lately

Ok guys finally got the gaskets and such so i can pull the front cover off. While removing stuff i inoticed that the fan clutch is absolutely 100% without a doubt fried, ya can wobble it all over the place. Looked fine when the truck was running, hmmm probably should have checked that first. So :dunno that could have been the culprit, still gonna pull the cover and take a peek at the pin just though i would mention it. If nothing else i'll know that the pin is secure and besides the oil seal has a bit of a slow leak.

Whit

Reaction score
scooter..............prolly was the fanclutch.....HMMMMMM

oh well ya need to adress the pin anyhow :thumbsup:

scooter01922

Reaction score
Ok finally got around to removing the cover, pin is still flush with the case. After a bit of fab work i made a retainer tab and now it's secure for all eternity. Anything else i should check out while i'm in here???? Only 170K and everything looks simply super in there:thumbsup: :thumbsup: gotta love a nice clean engine.So i guess the moral of this story is to keep an eye on the fan clutch. I'm not so sure that replacing the main seal is a good thing now that i think about it. It's gonna eliminate the automatic underbody rust inhibitor application.:D

Whit

Reaction score
sounds good bud............just get the pin tabbed to secure it

make sure ya get the new seal in place and call er good

glad to hear things check out good

you find a new fan clutch yet

I always wanted a Horton fan clutch myself

scooter01922

Reaction score
Oh it's tabbed alright...ain't going nowhere. Yep, got the new fan clutch from napa, it's their brand think it was about 70$ or so??? Just need to replace the seals and put her back together tomorrow.;Sweet. Never did notice any cooling issues even though the fan couldn't have been working as intended....must be this cold weather, that or i just don't work it hard enough to get warm.

Whit

Reaction score
a diesel only uses 30% of its cooling capacity if it aint towin ................so yer fan prolly never needed to kick in this winter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle