Odd grinding / chain dragging noise

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get a noise somewhere in the front of the truck when going certain speeds. It isn't constant and isn't affected by engine RPM, but movement.

Sounds sorta like a chain being dragged or metal on metal grinding. Sicne it isn't RPM related would it be wheel bearings?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump: are the hubs catching? i have no clue what could be making this kind of noise... Might have to mount a camera under there ;/

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have heard an odd sound like that when i forgot to back up after pulling the 4x lever back to 2x on my auto hubs

with manual hubs i got a truck with part of the hub in backward making it act weird

boxathey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
. chains dragging is a perfect description. my truck makes same noise. it would do it when my hubs would be locked in. take your front driveshaft out. and zip it up and down the road and see if the noise is gone. mine went away without the front driveshaft so i have it pinpointed to either a worn out front driveshaft or my bw 1356 transfer case is in need of a rebuilding.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worth a shot boxathey, thanks

Jred: before i replaced some frontend components it made the noise too, the hubs went together just like I pulled them but it is possible that something isn't right and hasn't been for some time...

Mudder, I didn't know there was a chain in the transfer case, but free rolling the transfer case shouldn't be moving with it in 2wh and open hubs right?

Thanks for the replies guys

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online