OD light flashing hard 1-2 shifts

Chappy

Reaction score
Update: Thanks for the help everyone, turns out the solenoid pack was bad and I got into it this past weekend. The removal and installation went smooth until I went to plug the harness into the solenoid pack. It would not fit, closer inspection found a "ring" around the plug that would not allow it to go all the way into the solenoid pack. The connections themselves are matching but the housing is a little different. Thought about shaving this section off to get it to fit? Any experience with this?

Thanks again.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you bought the right year,it will fit.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 65

Chappy

Reaction score
I was able to get the plastic sleeve off that fordF250 mentioned and the plug fits into the solenoid pack.

After a test drive things seems to better, but not completely...
From a stop the truck acts like you are driving a manual and riding the clutch to take off in third. High RPM's to go very slow, as if you are starting in third gear but not lugging, like the tranny is building pressure? Once you are in the 10mph range it runs fine. If I manually shift to second it takes off much better from stop, yet I don't have a first gear anymore.

I hope this makes sense.

I have replaced the FLPS and Solenoid Pack to date. Tach and Speedo work fine.

Thanks for the help.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh.this (starting out in high gear in the D position) means your trans control unit isn't getting power.

one more diagram should do the trick..........

additional side note;
those with the 9th gen idi's (92-94) with the od cancel switch on the shift handle.when we loose TECA power (which causes high gear starts) we have another indicator.the cancel switch doesn't work and it illuminates half brightness all the time.
just an additional tip for the 92+ readers to keep in mind.might come in handy some day,and you'll know how to fix the issue road side (see two under hood fuses using owners manual) and can "borrow" the horn relay to place in the teca relay location.

Attachments

• relay locations.JPG
    relay locations.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I was able to get the plastic sleeve off that fordF250 mentioned and the plug fits into the solenoid pack.

After a test drive things seems to better, but not completely...
From a stop the truck acts like you are driving a manual and riding the clutch to take off in third. High RPM's to go very slow, as if you are starting in third gear but not lugging, like the tranny is building pressure? Once you are in the 10mph range it runs fine. If I manually shift to second it takes off much better from stop, yet I don't have a first gear anymore.

I hope this makes sense.

I have replaced the FLPS and Solenoid Pack to date. Tach and Speedo work fine.

Thanks for the help.

You might need the correct 89-94 solenoid pack.

Chappy

Reaction score
I have installed the correct pack and a new harness... Fits much better. Before I installed I checked ohms for solenoids and everything checked out in spec (20+ and 5+ for epc). Upon start up it runs much better. Shifts through all gears but I'm still getting a code 99 flashing and a hard shift from 1-2. I've replaced the pack, harness, and tps to this point. What am I missing? Thanks for help in this drawn out fix...

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
99 is a EPC solenoid fault code. See how you have changed out the pack. Take a good look at the wire harness.
Either you have a bad or no connection to that solenoid.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Set your FIPL voltage at 1.0, even digital VOM have a + or - tolerance, might correct the 1 -2 hard shift. Try starting another code read out, interupt the read out by shutting the key off during the read out, that will cancel the 99 code. If it comes back again make sure the connector is shoved ALL THE WAY IN at the tranny. Still getting 99 again, check your new harness at the other end connection.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is another connection between the TECA and the solenoid pack to inspect as well.follow up the trans harness starting near the range sensor.follow up the main harness along the frame.look up and you'll see a large connector splitting off into the TECA and the power distribution box.unclip this connector carefully,not breaking the tabs.inspect and clean.

so it's pin 38 on the TECA harness clip (remove the center 10mm bolt,pull it out and turn it around.look for #38) it's white/yellow.
now pin #35 which is white/red is EPC power.

if you haven't just insure the main TECA connector is cleaned up.might solve the issue here too.

so pin # 35 at the TECA down to the s-pack is clean because if that one was broken,you'd get high gear starts in D position.your not,so the #38 line then white w/ yellow tracer is your issue.either at the TECA,that connector down by the frame/underhood fuse box or the s-pack clip.....or a broken/frayed wire somewhere.it could also be the s-pack connector or the solenoid but if you replaced both of those,then you ruled those out.

side note;
when the od light flashes,your going to get firm shifts.1-2 might be the firmest but they'll all be more harsh than when the light doesn't flash.

Last edited:

Chappy

Reaction score
Update: you guys are the best...FordF250 you were right, I found the white and yellow wire was sitting on top of the front driveline wore bare. After splicing the wire all the issues went away. Thanks for everyone's help. I'm on the road and she's running great!

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: you guys are the best...FordF250 you were right, I found the white and yellow wire was sitting on top of the front driveline wore bare. After splicing the wire all the issues went away. Thanks for everyone's help. I'm on the road and she's running great!

nah,you were right Chappy.thanks to you for the detailed info in your diagnoses,you pretty much narrowed it right down to the one wire.
good to hear she's running strong again.happy oil burning.;Sweet

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it up and running correctly!!!

This is an awesome reference thread for you as well, I think it pretty much covered all the bases on what it could be