OBS stroke value.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the lounge but figured it might get some traffic here too.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showpost.php?p=811918

Long story short, I have a chance to buy a pretty clean 97 stroke. They are asking $14k. It has 43k original miles. Garage kept. Reg cab long bed 5 Spd.

I think that's borderline high based on book values. It's in Wv and trucks this clean and that vintage are really hard to come by. If it were ext cab or crew is be all over it.

Opinions?

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that if you can write a check and not miss it that it would be an excellent deal. It is most definitely a lot of truck for the money and if you took that same check to a car lot today, what would you end up with? Not much.

The downside is when something happens to it and the insurance company wants to give you 7 or 8 thousand. That is when it hurts.

I don't have a better value to offer you right now but I have seen some really decent OBS powerstrokes in the 70 to 80 thousand mile mark go for 10 and 11 thousand. But those went to retired guys who could buy any truck they wanted.

Good luck and post back when you get it.

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The downside is when something happens to it and the insurance company wants to give you 7 or 8 thousand. That is when it hurts.

Not sure how true that is. Might depend on the insurance company I guess. My 94 IDI Turbo, identical to above except engine and with 220k miles was totaled and my the insurance company at gave me a check for $7700. Used that to buy the 97 in my sig with 170k miles for $7900. (Reg Cab fan here). Both were/are supper clean, very will maintained and not a spec of rust.

That said, 14K is a lot for a 97. The insurance adjuster said they valued based on NADA. She also mentioned that they don't use KBB, especially for older vehicles as it often undervalues.

Good luck with the decision. It's a tough one.

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt pay over 8 or 9. people are trying to get way more than what they are actually worth. yes that engine is sought after but when it comes down to it its only worth what someone will give. plus book values are right around 9k i believe. dont get suckered in. :joker:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the lounge but figured it might get some traffic here too.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showpost.php?p=811918

Long story short, I have a chance to buy a pretty clean 97 stroke. They are asking $14k. It has 43k original miles. Garage kept. Reg cab long bed 5 Spd.

I think that's borderline high based on book values. It's in Wv and trucks this clean and that vintage are really hard to come by. If it were ext cab or crew is be all over it.

Opinions?
my .02
take that amount of money.....
cruise CL in the late summer/early fall in the west coast and find something for 1/3 to 1/2 of the price.
fly out and enjoy a leisurely drive back to the east coast.
go back to work with $$$ left over in your pocket and own a rust-free truck.

here's a random example......
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4582905503.html

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
If I had the money I would deff come out west and buy two or three. Me and my boss have taking about buying a fee trucks any way.

97 F250 HD auto 4x4
3.55s turning 16.6!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
For a CC OBS I would pay $14K if in near perfect condition and less than 100K. For a regular cab truck? No way in hell. Regular cabs suck IMO.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
For a CC OBS I would pay $14K if in near perfect condition and less than 100K. For a regular cab truck? No way in hell. Regular cabs suck IMO.

True that.
Next truck will definitely be a crew cab. All I've ever had are single/regular cabs. Hasn't been much of a problem before, but now everyday I feel like I'm running out of room.
And I don't even have kids yet.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle