Opinions please.. Thanks

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a seller doesn't post at least one picture of the engine bay and underside of the vehicle, I don't even bother looking further into it.

$9K for a bondo auction mark-up and no pics of the engine?? Hard pass for me.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While the pictures look good, they're all glamour shots. You need to see the engine bay and chassis in detail. If it were me, there's a 99% chance that I'd pass on anything that passed through an auction. Go over it yourself with a fine tooth comb...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the vehicle has changed hands a few times, that is a red flag.
having worked in a dealership in the past, I can tell you the cherries are kept, reconditioned and turned by the dealership. Next are the vultures who will buy a car from their boss and either keep or turn them themselves. finally, the ones that don't pass inspection for one reason or another, will wind up at the auction. that is the reason why you need to be cautious with an auction car. let's say in the best case scenario, the burb is a one owner vehicle but unfortunately it's more than 10 years old from current model year. the dealership it was traded in at will check to see if one of their vultures wants to pick it up. if not, it goes to auction. that is probably the route this 'burb went.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Who is copart?

Also my feeling when I first saw this is the color and miles, and being a 2500, it may have been a fire service vehicle. I know someone who has one almost exactly like it, in that color red, that was a fire service vehicle. May have low miles, but could have high hours. Not saying that alone is a deal breaker, but something to keep in mind.

Now, the vehicle making it from Hawaii to Missouri, and the copart part mentioned above, would be a deal breaker. My guess is part of the asking price is trying to recoup the transportation costs to get it from Hawaii to Missouri....... that would have been a couple grand I’d think.....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is copart?

Copart and their rival, Insurance Auto Auctions, are the largest auction houses for selling off salvage vehicles. Recently, both have also gotten into donation vehicles and tow yard lien vehicles. Why is buying from them a dicey idea? most of the vehicles will have underbody forklift damage from them being moved. both auction houses employ specially designed forklifts in order to efficiently move cars around.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information Cal! I’d never have known.
when I was in towing full-time, hauling in and out of these auction houses was a big breadwinner for me. If you are buying for the parts, the insurance auctions houses are a good source. If you approach them as a source for a cheap driveable car, you are sorely mistaken. this is the least safe venue to buy a legally roaddable car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online