OBS Glow Plug Light

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

My '93 IDIT is my first OBS truck ... not familiar with the GPC differences yet.

Is the "Wait to Start" light supposed to cycle (like the Bullnose trucks)?
Mine isn't ... has symptoms of failed GP or GPC.

Thank you,
Kizer

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I believe that you meant "brick nose trucks"? I'm not an expert on the GPCs, but I believe that it is supposed to cycle the same way.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant bullnose.

Thank you though.

I figured that they were supposed to work the same way, but the GPC on OBS is different than bullnose ... so I wasn't sure.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a new used controller n new Gp's like 10 k ago my wait to start light hasn't worked but they heat up I hear a click click so wonder why that would be n I drive a "93 OBS

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a new used controller n new Gp's like 10 k ago my wait to start light hasn't worked but they heat up I hear a click click so wonder why that would be n I drive a "93 OBS

Yep ... I'm pretty sure mine (some) are heating too ... can't tell if they are cycling correctly.
If the GPC is working as scheduled then I've got one, or more, failed plugs...I reckon.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I meant bullnose.

Thank you though.

I figured that they were supposed to work the same way, but the GPC on OBS is different than bullnose ... so I wasn't sure.
In that case there do operate differently. The wait to start light stays on for a set time and then goes off. After that, the glow plugs will continue to heat up. When the cycle it completely finished, then you can hear the click, click, click like Jason just mentioned. Sometimes you can see your dash and radio lights brighten and dim along with the clicking. The light isn't supposed to come back on like with the 6.9 style controllers. I believe that if you want the controller to cycle again, you have to turn off the key and then turn it back on.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I was thinking that you meant brick nose since it uses the same style of controller. My mistake.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It still wouldn't hurt to check your glow plugs though. At least with a test light.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It still wouldn't hurt to check your glow plugs though. At least with a test light.

10-4. I'm almost positive that at least one plug is spent (if the GPC is working) ... un-burnt fuel on start up. I'll order a new set ... no spare ZD9's on hand anyway.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not 100% sure the factory style GPC in the Bullnose trucks does the afterglow. Remember, the 83-86 6.9 in the Bullnose uses a controller that threads into the back of the drivers side head. This style controller sends 12 volts to the second solenoid on the passenger side fender. I think it just comes on for a set time, and shuts off. There is no current sensing on this style controller. This is the style that, if/when it fails, it fails in the on position, burning out the glow plugs. I’ve read several times of people asking why my WTS light comes on driving down the road. There is no “intelligence” to this controller. This is why most upgrade to the solid state controller, or disable the factory controller, and run a manual push button.

The 87 up controller is the solid state controller that most of us are familiar with. It is the one that is all contained on the back of the intake, with the 2 yellow wires leading to it (or on the valve cover in the factory turbo, and with some of the aftermarket kits). This controller senses current draw, and cycles the plugs accordingly. It does the afterglow, and it normally fails safe, and won’t burn out the plugs. But this current sensing is also what causes the hard starting issues, because if a plug fails, or there’s a wiring issue, it will short cycle the plugs (the immediate click, click,click) and not heat the plugs. This is one why I normally install a manual override push button, that way if the controller doesn’t cycle at all, or short cycles, I can push a button and heat the plugs, even if some of the plugs have failed, I can heat the ones that are left and likely get it started. It might run rough for a bit, but running on 4 or 5 cylinders, roughly, is better than not running at all.

If all else fails, I normally carry a can of ether, and use it properly and get the truck started. Not ideal, but I can disable the glow plugs system fairly easily, quick shot on the air filter, and it will normally fire up. Also, don’t think that using ether properly will turn it into a “ether addict”. I’ve had times when the plugs weren’t working and used ether to get it started, sometimes for a week or three. After repairing the glow plugs, it would start just fine. The big thing is the proper use...... don’t hose it down, just a quick shot. If it gets to the point you have to use and entire can of ether to get it started, you have some other problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online