OBS cluster swap

PapaJammie

Reaction score
During my Zf-5 swap, I realized I will not be able to use the factory speed sensor in the tail housing, since there is no place to put it in the new transmission. From my understanding, the OBS trucks have an electric sensor in the rear axle? Does anyone know if it would be possible to do a cluster swap with electric speedo? Are the wiring harnesses the same or would I have to cobble up something myself? Any insight is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PapaJammie

Reaction score
Wow I didn't know they made thing like that. $300 is a bit pricey though. Might have to go this route if I can't get the OBS cluster to work. I can get the OBS cluster and all associated wiring from a friend for $20 so I'd rather go this route.

PapaJammie

Reaction score
1988. Yes I could but then I would have to pull the 2wd zf out, swap it for a 4wd one, and then still have to find a transfer case and driveshaft. This seemed much easier to me

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Iirc, 88 will have a sensor. But it's for the RABS.
I don't think it's the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

PapaJammie

Reaction score
I can try to make it fit, but if it doesn't then I can do an axle swap. I'm mainly looking to see if anyone knows if the OBS cluster will work plugged into the truck, or if I'm going to have to switch around a bunch of wires and stuff

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First thing that is a problem is the way the speedo itself works.

It receives a signal from the rear end into a speed control unit. That unit controls your cruise and sends the proper signal to the OBS speedometer. So, without that unit, and the appropriate wiring, there is no way an OBS cluster will work. Now, get the whole dash and wiring, run the right wire to the rear end, and you probably could make it work.

If it were me, I would just get a gps app for my smart phone that has a speedometer function and go with that.

PapaJammie

Reaction score
Whereabouts is this speed control unit located? I have a whole parts truck at my disposal and really want to have a working speedo, so I'm going to try my best to make this work.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is behind the knee panel on the drivers side. Near the transmission tunnel. It has two wiring harnesses plugged in to it with about 8 wires each.

I have the evtm for a 92. What year parts trick is this? If it is an idi, you would be better off to do a complete dash swap along with all the wiring harness.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
88 will have the sensor you need, the obs speedometer has the "speed control unit" as part of it. You don't need anything besides just the speedometer from an obs cluster and the wiring plug.

Some trimming and test fitting a few times and you can make it work, also if you want the button holes to line up you need to use the clear part from the obs and modify it on the sides.

PapaJammie

Reaction score
It is a 1993 non turbo. I would rather not do a dash swap if possible. I like the look of my bricknose interior better than the OBS lol.