NV4500 How many Qts?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Ok boys I'm gonna do the old drain and fill on the NV4500 Tranny here in the coming weeks - just recieved my order from AMSOIL this afternoon - I ordered 6 quarts is this enough or did I not buy enough....

Any tips or tricks I should know before I go crawling under there.

rubberfish

Reaction score
Hi Travis, if I remember right, when I did mine, I used 5 litres.
And a litre is a little smaller than a quart. Mine was bone dry
when I did it as well. Sorry I can't be of more help,
but at least we know you have more than enough.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I have seen those "filters" in the Geno Cat - :rotflmao What a crock - basically what it is nothing more than a piece of filter media that is put in place of the stock side PTO cover then a replacement cover is bolted over it allowing a little bit of space behind the filter so that when the oil gets slung around it will filter out all the bad stuff :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao That item ranks right up there with snake oil in my opinion.

But you never know I might be the one that is all wet...

2500cummins

Reaction score
Whitmore said:
A filter on a NV4500 :confused: Splain to me :confused:

Not snake oil IMO
The filter is made by Eaton Fuller, its normal aplication is larger truck transmissions. It is basicaly a bypass type filter, it has a scoop that diverts some of the oil wash from the PTO drive gear through a wound string type filter.
Here is a picture of the filter I removed after about 45000 miles, the oil enters the outside of the filter and returns to the case through the center. It looks to me like it cought quite a bit of crud, the oil I drained out was very clean with only a very slight yellowing. The other picture shows a new filter and base modified to use a fastcooler instead of the standard filter cover.
The filters are available from Genos Garage and Quad 4x4, The Quad 4x4 kits also include a magnet to stick inside the case.

Attachments

• filter dirty.jpg
    filter dirty.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 6
  • New and old filter.jpg
    New and old filter.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: