NP205?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will an NP205 bolt to my ZF5? If so what all do I need?

Physically yes, splines are same and the bolt pattern is the same, however you will need a small notch in the transmissions mating surface to facilitate the shifter.

Then the requirement of shifter has to be addressed and a Crossmember to support the Tcase as it's extremely heavy.

Then driveshafts

That bout sums up what needed!

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you know, that ain't a bad idea. the only down side to those 205's, is their low range isn't as low as a belt drive case. But man are they tuff!

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got hold of one in a trade for some other OBS parts. Knew it was tougher than the one I have. With the IDI and the ZF and my 4.10's, the low range is not "as" important as it would be with a higher geared trans and axles.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind having one myself, but mines 3:55, so that would hurt me in some situations. But once again, the most common way I've seen them fail, is to run'em dry of grease. tuff 'ol buzzards

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a build on here that shows it very well. i believe it has "old ironsides" in the title. the guys is putting and idi into a 70s ford pickup.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha all steel gears and shafts . No cheesy planetaries ... all there's some thick metal in a 205

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't discount the bw1356/4407 now, the only real advantage the np205 has is you can slam it on a boulder and it will be fine. The 205 is HEAVY. and likes to snap the thinner aluminum the e4od and zf5 use to mate cases with (c6 stuff is beef). Also a lot narrower, so your drivrshafts have 2 angles to work with instead of 1 (most of the time)

I like the planetary 2.69 low and shift on the fly low rane, and it's stock mounting. I think behemoth sells a kit to give you 2wd low on the shifter. Along with doubler boxes and stuff.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Anybody have some good pics of a 205 mounted to the zf5?

Haven't got it in a truck yet, but this shows the interference where you must clearance the ZF5 tailshaft flange. I also have pictures and overall measurements once bolted together from bell to front yoke and bell to rear yoke, but not handy. Your factory crossmemeber will interfere, you will need to modify for driveshaft clearance. Front shaft will be several inches shorter and rear several inches longer. Front shaft will also be a lot closer to the transmission.

You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you know, that ain't a bad idea. the only down side to those 205's, is their low range isn't as low as a belt drive case. But man are they tuff!

NO BELT DRIVE sorry, it's a CHAIN driven Tcase 1345/1356

I wouldn't mind having one myself, but mines 3:55, so that would hurt me in some situations. But once again, the most common way I've seen them fail, is to run'em dry of grease. tuff 'ol buzzards
Not full of grease, use an 80/90 EP GL oil.

Tougher than our BW 1345/1356???? No way LOL
Um ya...much tougher...but not as nice as shift of fly, and lower Low Range.

If need a PTO F350 front half of 1356 has provisions for PTO!!

Haha all steel gears and shafts . No cheesy planetaries ... all there's some thick metal in a 205

Hm...all steel gears in our 1356 too BTW, absolutely nothing wrong with planetaries as they are in damn near every automatic transmission, and are quite strong. Most 1356 failures are based on lack of lube not parts breaking

FYI

JM2CW

Now to add some insult to injury, I'm hoping to take my 205 and marry it it to a 203 range box, they end up being about the exact same length as a 1356 slip yoke style tcase, now we are talking about some serious weight, and some decent gearing capability!

Just Sayin

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Was trying to be sacrastic...but aint very good at it. I have had plent issues with 1356's. Id go NP205 in a heartbeat

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Just saw a 205 get grenaded last week.

By an ultra4 car. :D

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
......I apologize.... yes it is technically a "chain" not a belt , and the proper name for the grease I referred to is gear oil , specifically 80/90. Damn....didn't know i had to be so specific. But I beg to differ on the strength of the bw cases , although they dwarf the new venture cases in the dodges as far as strength . I've had way too many of them fail. Never broke a chain, always in the planetaries or the shift forks . Seems like its always just on the edges of the gear set , chip the edges off , and it goes to hell. I don't know if you've ever rebuilt a t-case , or where you live as far as cost of parts. But around here you can purchase another case from a junk yard for the price of the sun/planetaries gear set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online