Now this is a toy hauler!!!

ford 6.9

Reaction score
might have to go get a look at it so we can get more info.... If he still has it ill go look at it this coming weekend.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The L series was never offered with any light duty diesel no 6.9 or 7.3. The smallest engine offered was the 6.6 Ford diesel. Most of the time these had NA 3208 engines in them from the late 70's to mid 80's, triple nickel, 8.3 cummins or detroit 60 series.

I didnt think anything bigger than a F-series(F250-F550) was available with a 6.9/7.3

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt think anything bigger than a F-series(F250-F550) was available with a 6.9/7.3

There was no such thing as F-550 then. But yes the 6.9 and 7.3 idi were used in the ford F-600 and F-700 trucks while also being used a ton in the IH platforms. The air brake compressor was mounted where the A/C pump is on our trucks. The allison AT545 (POS) was used a lot with the IDI's and robbed a ton of power from them. Also 5 speed clarks and 6 speed spicer manual trans were options.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
There was no such thing as F-550 then. But yes the 6.9 and 7.3 idi were used in the ford F-600 and F-700 trucks while also being used a ton in the IH platforms. The air brake compressor was mounted where the A/C pump is on our trucks. The allison AT545 (POS) was used a lot with the IDI's and robbed a ton of power from them. Also 5 speed clarks and 6 speed spicer manual trans were options.

:confused:Never seen or heard of a 6.9/7.3 in a medium duty ford

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
And yes they even put the IDI in the big boys because we had a fleet of buses that were all either F700 and F or L8000 all with IDIs and clark 5 directs in them , The 700s were 53 passenger jobs and the 8000s were 79 passenger jobs Seriously heavy duty rigs ( there were some other types in teh fleet as well, but they made up the majority). I was always impressed with the big fords . They would outrun a 262 cummins equipped Crown on a hill and could go places the suposedly fancy rigs couldn't ( not to mention that I hated working on the mid engine cummins jobs. No matter what we did, there's no way to come out of that clean. If you worked on nothing but the Fords for a day, you could stay clean.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that cab is not an 89 model either but much older probably an 82 model based on the ford lettering on the hood.

I thought that cab didn't look right. Compared it to our old "pickle truck" which is an 89 and there is some differences there LOL. (hopefully the picture shows up)

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
And yes they even put the IDI in the big boys because we had a fleet of buses that were all either F700 and F or L8000 all with IDIs and clark 5 directs in them , The 700s were 53 passenger jobs and the 8000s were 79 passenger jobs Seriously heavy duty rigs ( there were some other types in teh fleet as well, but they made up the majority). I was always impressed with the big fords . They would outrun a 262 cummins equipped Crown on a hill and could go places the suposedly fancy rigs couldn't ( not to mention that I hated working on the mid engine cummins jobs. No matter what we did, there's no way to come out of that clean. If you worked on nothing but the Fords for a day, you could stay clean.

Got any pics of one? I have never seen one. I have been looking online trying to find one, but nothing

Last edited:

Eason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think IH sold the 6.9/7.3 in anything but the light duty trucks. Why would IH sell a engine to a direct competitor. It didn't happen! I'd have to see evidence of it before I believe it. I'm with Brad on this one. No IDI's in the medium duty chassis. BTW I've sold both Ford and IH(Navistar) trucks from 1985 to 1990. Eason

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I don't think IH sold the 6.9/7.3 in anything but the light duty trucks. Why would IH sell a engine to a direct competitor. It didn't happen! I'd have to see evidence of it before I believe it. I'm with Brad on this one. No IDI's in the medium duty chassis. BTW I've sold both Ford and IH(Navistar) trucks from 1985 to 1990. Eason

By that logic, detroit wouldn't let anyone put their diesels in except for GMC trucks and John Deer wouldn't let anyone use their engines in anything cookoo
IH sells engines to everybody, and they buy engines from all kinds of other companies to use in their stuff. Heck, My IH tractor has a Nissan diesel in it.

Those buses , were built near here. The customers pre ordered the rolling chassis powered the way they wanted it , then the bus company, ironically owned by IH, would build the bodies on the things, but that had nothing to do with the engine availability, I've seen other brand bus bodies withj the same chassis / engine setup

The local big truck boneyard had a bunch of f700 beverage trucks with IDIs in them here a couple of years back, but I think they crushed them when steel went crazy high . I almost scavanged a set of mirrors off one , but I wanted chrome and they had all been painted

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, It says it has a 7.3 but i could have any engine. Just like when you see an add for a IDI truck and it "says" it has a powerstroke

Also found this thread by a guy who is looking at an F700 with a 7.3.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/non-powerstroke-general-discussion/195356-1989-f700-idi-7-3-a.html

Edit: Found another thread
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-964408.html

Nother Edit: Found this F800 for sale with one.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&nid=443&tab=list/view&ad=4791317

Last edited: