Now this is a toy hauler!!!

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Wow, a whole lot nicer than I was expecting.;Really OF all the engines you could shoehorn into that thing, I'm not sure an IDI would have been my first choiceLOL

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it has a 4 sspeed with a granny low. A 6.9 with a direct 5 speed , granny low was a fairly common power option for that chassis. They built a lot of service trucks and buses like that ( I used to fool with a whole fleet of the buses ) A 2 speed rear with the kind of low gearing that went on those chassis to begin with would make for one heck of a puller, evem if it did only have a 4 speed for some reason.

wmoguy

Reaction score
darnit this thread needs to disapear before I'm tempted to drive to Nebraska!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
that thing came with a 6.9 from factory?

It's a strong possibility. I used to take care of a whole stinkload of 79+_passenger buses built on teh same chassis that came with IDIs in them. They came with Clark 5 speeds that were 5 direct. Ironically, the bodies for those things were built not 5 miles from where I live now

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The L series was never offered with any light duty diesel no 6.9 or 7.3. The smallest engine offered was the 6.6 Ford diesel. Most of the time these had NA 3208 engines in them from the late 70's to mid 80's, triple nickel, 8.3 cummins or detroit 60 series.

That truck also has 6 lug axles! These were always 10 lug axles with air brakes! So who knows what chassis that thing is on but it is not an L series and that cab is not an 89 model either but much older probably an 82 model based on the ford lettering on the hood.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Good crud that's a lot of truck for such a motor :eek: I guess you'd never have to worry about coolant temps or speeding tickets LOL

Cool truck for sure, but not sure I agree with the motor choice.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya it looks cobbled together 6 lug and a 6.9? does it have a 10 lug rear?? most 6 lug rears are on newer stuff like izuzu cabover and are not 2 speed. or maybe its an older adapter from the f350 chassie it is really low.

wmoguy

Reaction score
well the seller knows nothing about it at all. Couldnt tell me mileage, had no other pics, knew nothing about the vehicle other than it's been "converted". Officially turned off, someone else help yourself.