Not to beat a dead horse..

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go with one of these before I'd shell out money for a motorcraft.
I've always liked the flowkooler brand.

Unless it's NOS motorcraft from 10 years ago, it's likely no different then any parts store pump. Most dealerships made a big push 5-10 years ago to try and get more parts business from outside the dealership, and in the process, they cheapened out on the product on certain things.

You can now get non-brand parts from a lot of the dealers. I remember my local Chrysler dealer pushing the magneti marelli line and how they were going to start stocking pads and rotors for all makes/models. I know acdelco did the same thing too.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may have corporate chimerica.
The bs with "assembled in America" is as bad as china!
But yes corporate chimerican build quality only has to be a half step better and they can say we do it better!
catfu
But till we totally boycott cheap GARBAGE we will have to take the ****** as matter of fact!
Edit ooh i typed a snowflake word...
Garbage in garbage out!
In 20 years the degradation will be completed and china can come sweep up the profitable land ...
Not hard to build quality, hard to profit from it as much when a quality product lasts say 50k and china lasts a month and 1000k...

The vendor's set price point when sourcing china mfg.
You can order ANY quality desired.
the " maximize PROFIT " at the customers expense
IS THE PROBLEM!
HOKAY RANT over

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Not hard to build quality, hard to profit from it as much when a quality product lasts say 50k and china lasts a month and 1000k...

Capitalism. Lower production cost and quality = higher quarterly profits. (Also lower wages by sending the factories to countries with cheaper labor like China, Mexico, Indonesia, etc) The quarterly profits are all that matters to the corps, not a quality product or customer satisfaction. Especially in aftermarket car parts since often you have only one company actually making the parts, and it gets labeled under many different brands.

Just look at even a name brand like Moog and their "problem solver" line. It used to be the best. It's questionable now, but still probably the best you can get for ball joints and tie rods.

If you have to keep buying the same part every 5 years instead of once every 20 years, it looks better on paper since they sell the part 4 times instead of just once. So it's in their best interest to make the parts awful so you have to keep buying them as a means of keeping their quarterly profits strong.

Last edited:

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was not my choice of waterpumps, but rather the option I had without ordering one. I am really tempted to replace it with a flowkooler, if they tell me where the components are sourced.

Flowkooler assembles in the USA. I think the impellers and bearings are from here as well. But the castings are sources from whatever pump manufacturer is cheapest. On one, they didn't even remove the GMB logo off the casting.

This was a few years ago. With covid I have no idea what they're doing.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flowkooler assembles in the USA. I think the impellers and bearings are from here as well. But the castings are sources from whatever pump manufacturer is cheapest. On one, they didn't even remove the GMB logo off the casting.

Sounds like the important parts are made here then. I couldn't care less about the casting as long as it fits and doesn't leak! I'm definitely going to go this route when I replace mine.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Very interesting about the faster flow with these guys. I wonder if it would cure the 7.3 cooling ailments to some degree?

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out your fan clutch. Make sure it isn't wobbly. I had play in mine and it was ******* water pumps until I realized I needed a new clutch. I have run without the clutch and fan in winter without issue.
edit: the censoring app is pretty amusing.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I couldn't care less about the casting as long as it fits and doesn't leak! I'm definitely going to go this route when I replace mine.
I'm the same way. I may put one on the 6.9 in the Ex Wife, but I will put one on the 7.3 when it goes in.
I wonder if it would cure the 7.3 cooling ailments to some degree?
I'd sure like to know too. It would help a lot of people.

Last edited:

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting about the faster flow with these guys. I wonder if it would cure the 7.3 cooling ailments to some degree?
Depends on what's actually causing the ailments. If it's a lack of coolant flow through the engine then yes. If it's overheating because the radiator is plugged solid, or the fan clutch doesn't work, then no.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: flowcooler water pump:

Start at about 1:30...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Looks like they need to replace that plastic impeller with a metal one.

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: flowcooler water pump:

Start at about 1:30...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Looks like they need to replace that plastic impeller with a metal one.

I can‘t wait to see what all they do with the Banana…. The Morrvair is really cool.

I think the Corvair Truck rescue rig is gonna be really neat. Who needs a trailer to get a dead SxS…. Just load it in the Corvair…….