Not sure where to post this...

Tumbleweed210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not exactly sure where this post should go....but...

ALL PROPS AND KUDOS TO @Thewespaul and Classic Diesel Designs!!!

Here recently I was tempted to give up on the SuperDuke (the one in my sig)...as being a worn-out, old bucket o' *****, with its better days behind it...trundling along, unable to keep up with traffic, barely toting its own, much less the loads it was designed to haul...

However, after a long and daunting trip down to Mr.Wes's...and a rather informative timing session.

THE SUPERDUKE RIDES AGAIN!!!
:peelout
It's a whole different animal now...getting better fuel mileage, with some kinda power to boogie through traffic too! I've also got a better idea of the potential for this truck, and an understanding of what to do next on it.
So...many thanks to Wes at Classic Diesel Designs.

I'll be back, as budget allows, for more of your great parts and service...Because I'm thinking I'll be keeping my "good ol' farm-truck" now.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Your trip wasn't long compared to mine. I live in Northwest Kansas. Mine was nothing compared to the trip recently made by Chilman88, who came from New York.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's great news! Gotta love it when the simple (if you know what you're doing) gets it up to *****!
I shared a saga, or maybe it was an epic with Wes. I flew from New York to Colorado picked up my '94 4x4 idit, drove it to the Classic Designs shop where we pulled the engine, added head studs and freshened it up. After a pretty grueling week with Wes, I hit the road back to the Catskills via Florida to stop by the DMV and get it registered. I've got much respect for Wes! He lives these trucks and has knowledge well beyond his years...

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
@Thewespaul Ever timed an IDI van? I can't remember if you ever mentioned if you had. It's definitely harder to reach the back of the IP. The turbo's air box might have to come off to help reach it from behind easier than from the front.

I intend to stop by around late November to early December. I probably should have last year with the truck, before I bought the RV, and it might have improved the truck enough I would have been happy with it for a slide in. I like the motorhome setup better in many ways over a slide in though.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Thewespaul Ever timed an IDI van? I can't remember if you ever mentioned if you had. It's definitely harder to reach the back of the IP. The turbo's air box might have to come off to help reach it from behind easier than from the front.

I intend to stop by around late November to early December. I probably should have last year with the truck, before I bought the RV, and it might have improved the truck enough I would have been happy with it for a slide in. I like the motorhome setup better in many ways over a slide in though.
I have not had the pleasure, I used to have a power stroke van until it got where it needed injectors and I sold it instead of tackling the enormous project. As I’m sure you’re aware, most things around the front of the engine take much longer on a van than in a truck, but it’s still doable.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I have not had the pleasure, I used to have a power stroke van until it got where it needed injectors and I sold it instead of tackling the enormous project. As I’m sure you’re aware, most things around the front of the engine take much longer on a van than in a truck, but it’s still doable.

I did the injector o-rings not long after I got it. I had to get at them from both sides depending which injector I was working on. Getting the old ones off was the hardest part to be honest. Putting on the new was pretty easy.

Now it starts perfectly, even after sitting for a week or more, which is better than my truck, which needs a bit of cranking after sitting for that long.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
As I’m sure you’re aware, most things around the front of the engine take much longer on a van than in a truck, but it’s still doable.
Other than being harder to reach the parts and timing on #4 from the factory instead of #1, it's just the same as a truck. Now it has been at least 18 years since I've done anything to a van with an IDI in it. From what I can remember, vans are timed on #4 like an International application because it's a lot easier to reach than #1 is. Vans use the same fuel filter and steel fuel lines going to it as an International.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Other than being harder to reach the parts and timing on #4 from the factory instead of #1, it's just the same as a truck. Now it has been at least 18 years since I've done anything to a van with an IDI in it. From what I can remember, vans are timed on #4 like an International application because it's a lot easier to reach than #1 is. Vans use the same fuel filter and steel fuel lines going to it as an International.

And mine still has the steel line going to the fuel filter from the pump, unlike my truck which got a rubber hose put in by a previous owner, presumably when they switched to the electric pump. It uses the same fuel filter as my truck, the normal 6.9L filter on Ford trucks, it's just mounted in a different place.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It uses the same fuel filter as my truck, the normal 6.9L filter on Ford trucks, it's just mounted in a different place.
Sorry about that. You're right. I meant that fuel filter heads are different. The location is different as well.

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm dreading the day I need to do injectors and IP on my van. it's SO cramped in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster