not starting...

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
The four return lines on the drivers side of the engine were leaking really bad, so I replaced them today. Install was fairly easy and straightforward. Afterwards, though, when I tried to start it, it fired almost right up, when it dies fairly quickly and will not restart. It has a nice stream of fuel shoot out of the valve on the top of the fuel filter when I crank it, but when I crack an injector line, fuel doesn't come out at all.

I have run the battery down now, and it is starting to irritate me that it won't start. Any ideas as to why it won't start?

Brock

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
get the batteries charged back up first and check for power going to the pump while waiting. noid light needs to be lit on the connector closest to you.
cranking speed needs to be roughly around 300rpm.

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
Update: As of today, I tried to tow it around a while to get it to start. It didn't. One of the batteries is now on a charger until tomorrow morning....

After I get both recharged, I will crack all eight lines, and crank until fuel, then tighten them back down and try to start. Sounds like a plan, right?;Sweet

Is it possible that air in the system could cause this for this long?

Brock

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Air is the problem. How much of the hard lines did you remove when you did the return system? Don't crank longer than about 20 seconds without a 2 minute rest. The starter gets about 2000 amps and heats up fast. That will burn it down. Then its starter replacement time. Hold the throttle wide open so it pushes more fuel thru the hard lines. With fuel at 4 or 5 injectors it will start. Remember you have about 1900 lbs of fuel pressure coming out of the injection pump so all you need is the hard lines just cracked off tight. Also make sure ALL the vibration dampners are reinstalled on the hard lines or the vibration of the fuel pulses will break them. Several here have found this out the hard way... I sure did....-cuss

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online