Not quite an IDI but someone please buy me this!!! (ebay)

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
If that really sells for $15,000, I'll be amazed. Especially in this economy.

I passed on a very similar, recently surplussed, Fire Dept Unimog BOV for $1500 at auction. The interior wasn't quite as polished though.

I think you could build an identical vehicle for much less money. Similar trucks (not converted) at auction, are rarely going for more than $2,000 here in Albuquerque.

The "26 gauge aircraft aluminum" is hype. That is 16/1000 of an inch, easy to dent with your knuckles, and aircraft use a variety of aluminum alloys, some very soft. I doubt he has any idea what alloy his is (Home Depot's best!).

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Looks neat, but he made the thing way a few tons more than needed. the guy could have used RV and mobile home paneling inside and aluminum framing and saved insane amounts of weight on a rig that size. He already went with a steel welded outer cage so there was no reason to go nutso with internal structure. He should have used teh lightest things possible, instead that sucker is top heavy as all getout

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks neat, but he made the thing way a few tons more than needed. the guy could have used RV and mobile home paneling inside and aluminum framing and saved insane amounts of weight on a rig that size. He already went with a steel welded outer cage so there was no reason to go nutso with internal structure. He should have used teh lightest things possible, instead that sucker is top heavy as all getout

Didn't he say it was for knocking out trees? that is why it is so heavy duty.

I like it, I bet I would have a hard time explaining the chassis to the local tag agency here!

Javier

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't he say it was for knocking out trees? that is why it is so heavy duty.
Yup yup, that is what always scares me about mine, that I will clip a low-hanging branch and eff my front real good - this guy made sure that even if he hits something, all the repiur needed would be skin and possibly some insulation replacement. Also with steel frame there is nothing to rot, sure it can rust but that's gonna take a whole lot longer. I do think he made the thing quite a bit on the high side tho, considering the purpose of the overcab space (sleeping, usually done laying down) there is really no need for it to be that high - on my own camper this is actually the lowest section. Altho he could have done it this way to protect the roof A/C in the main section, as those stick out quite a bit above roof level and are also easily damaged by rogue trees and such.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 3208 Cat is the biggest pile of crap ever made. They were junk when they left the factory and just got worse with age. I can't count the number of them that have gone bellyup at the worst possible time. If I bought that the first thing to be done would be I swap in a 3406 Cat. I have one in my Pete wrecker and it will out power almost anything. When I tried to pick the truck up in April it twisted the driveshaft off trying to break the brake drums loose from the shoes.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
A 3208 Cat is the biggest pile of crap ever made. They were junk when they left the factory and just got worse with age. I can't count the number of them that have gone bellyup at the worst possible time. If I bought that the first thing to be done would be I swap in a 3406 Cat. I have one in my Pete wrecker and it will out power almost anything. When I tried to pick the truck up in April it twisted the driveshaft off trying to break the brake drums loose from the shoes.

;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ooo. Want.

Still missing one piece though...

Adrianspeeder

Amen on that. As to it being a turbo engine it doesn't look like it either but they tend to hide the turbo low on those engine. They only last about 100k before it will eat a head gasket. If I bought it and wanted to keep it a V8 I would go after the diesel torque king for an engine. Their is nothing out there that can match an old Mack V8 diesel. I had one in and old dump truck and it would twist out the driveshaft if you tried to take of too fast. It was a quirk of that particular truck it was a trait of all Macks. When I worked for the one diesel shop we kept at least a dozen spare driveshafts for a local drywall delivery company because all their trucks were Macks. Any time they got a new driver we would get a phone call that they twisted out another driveshaft.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828