Not IDI, but still a truck question

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
How can I improve the AM radio reception in my truck? The radio appears to be a decent one, but I pick up a lot of interference that drowns out the right wing radio talk shows I like to listen to.
I hear a regular "whoosh" as slow speeds that increases with vehicle speed, until it is a constant "whoosh" at speeds over around 30 mph. Could I be picking up the signal from the vehicle speed sensor, or some other sensor?
Is it possible that better antenna would help?
How about a signal booster?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a 4ft CB antenna in the mirror as a radio antenna, even with the camper right next to it the reception is great in all bands. That said, if your truck has an external voltage regulator (so '91 and older truck) there should be a ballast resistor or something right next to it, that IIRC is there just to help with the AM signal reception of the radio...

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
A good am antenna is the best bet. Most of the cheap boosters work for a short time, and then eventually add noise.

I used to have a truck with a standard type antenna, BUT it also had a dedicated am copper wound antenna wrapped around it. It worked great! I wish I could find another one

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
I don't think it was a booster. It was an isolator iirc.

ON EDIT: It was a noise filter (capacitor).

Last edited:

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
I run a 4ft CB antenna in the mirror as a radio antenna, even with the camper right next to it the reception is great in all bands. That said, if your truck has an external voltage regulator (so '91 and older truck) there should be a ballast resistor or something right next to it, that IIRC is there just to help with the AM signal reception of the radio...

Mike F: If the interfering noise is a buzz or hum that increases in pitch as the engine revs increase (this would happen even when the truck is standing still), then its not a ballast resistor you need but instead a bypass capacitor from the voltage regulator A terminal (and/or alternator B+) and ground.

Regards,

nappy nate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before buying anything else I would make a ground circuit from the battery to the radio ground wire and also to the radio chassis.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Mike F: If the interfering noise is a buzz or hum that increases in pitch as the engine revs increase (this would happen even when the truck is standing still), then its not a ballast resistor you need but instead a bypass capacitor from the voltage regulator A terminal (and/or alternator B+) and ground.

Regards,

The "whooosh" varies with road speed; not engine speed. It seems to make several of the "whoooshes" with each tire ( or drive shaft) rotation. Revving the engine has no impact.