non intercooled more hp? what gives

redneck pride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just was readin up on project rust bucket on diesel power magizine site and they are sayin that you can pull more hp out of a non intercooled engine than a newer intercooled? wat gives? I thought the newer intercooled engines would be a better bet to pull hp out of. wat you guys think? should a guy buy a non intercooled er wat? or do they not know wat they are talkin about?

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock, the non I/C engines have larger injectors. Beside that, there really isn't any difference other than the IC engines having a larger turbo compressor.

redneck pride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya but they make it sound like u can get more out of them than an intercooled. I would imagine that if you put in some larger hp injectors in an intercooled you would be able to come up with more hp than a non intercooled. just wonderin wat other people think

Whit

Reaction score
non intercooled is the early VE pumpers.................they have alot of potential but ifin ya push too far on yer fuel load you will need an intercooler to lower the charg air before combustion so yer EGTs dont go out the roof

the P-7100 series will get ya alot more power than the VE though.........and they are all intercooled

redneck pride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i thought about switchin to the p-pump but that would take all the originality out of the old cummins

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cousin has an '89 Dodge Cummins with auto , my sister a '93 Cummins with 5 speed, and my brother a '94 with 5 speed. Put them all side by side and the earlier Cummins will outpull the '94 in a heartbeat (albeit a longer heartbeat). The '93 with 5 speed is an incredible machine and has a lot more engine where the '94 stops. The '89 is a great beast, but it's limitation is the auto tranny. And maybe the HUGE stack of leafs upfront for ride quality... HA HA!

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I firmly believe that intercoolers can help make power. They make your boost denser with oxygen but in the process it does lower your boost. If you add a more boost and more fuel it more than makes up for the loss in boost. Plus if you just turned your boost up to the previous setting, you would be making more power since it is a more oxygen rich mixture. But any way, the '89-91 1/2 Cummins came without an intercooler and '91 1/2-93 came with one. It was put on to help control egts. As for the p-pump trucks that is totally different than the rotary style pump on the '89-93 models. You can get decent power out of the first gen Cummins but there is more potential with a p-pump truck. Its just mostly preference and the level of power you desire to attain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance