No tach trying to figure out what gears are in my truck

1992F-250IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my 92 had 4:10 and top speed in 3rd was about 60. My 93 top speed in 3rd is around 67 to 70. I this it's a 3:73 but since my tach doesn't work I can't get an rpm in a gear to tell any help would be appreciated

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jack up a rear wheel, mark the drive shaft, mark the tire, turn the drive shaft, drive shaft turns 4 times to one rev of the wheel it's a 4:10 rear, 3-3/4 times it's a 3:73, 3-1/2 times it's a 3:55 and so on.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Did the OBS trucks offer another gear ratio other than 3.55 or 4.10? I have never heard of factory gearing other than those two.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score

The spider gears. I can't think of a good way to explain it, but the differential transfers velocity from wheel to wheel in a direct ratio. So, with one wheel stopped, you get the rotation of the driveline + the rotation of the static wheel transferred to the rotating wheel. Hence 2 rotations.

Hopefully someone can explain it better, my brain is melty today.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 3.55 and can do 70 in 3rd and 90+ in 4th.ive never seen how fast it will go. Im chicken!

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
The spider gears. I can't think of a good way to explain it, but the differential transfers velocity from wheel to wheel in a direct ratio. So, with one wheel stopped, you get the rotation of the driveline + the rotation of the static wheel transferred to the rotating wheel. Hence 2 rotations.

Hopefully someone can explain it better, my brain is melty today.

Glad to read this now, Wyreth. With my van apart, I was going to jack one side up and do this test, as I don't know what my Dana 60 has. Perhaps I'll wait until it's running again, and on level ground... currently on a downhill driveway! LOL

And, of course, no factory tach on Es....... :frustrate

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin